Do presenting and writing really matter?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Do presenting and writing really matter?

• Not to mention, learning how to present will help you at work, presenting a solution to the boss, teaching the team how to do stuff. It's a VERY transferable skill. Writing tech articles also helps at work, writing tech docs for your department, proposals for new equipment or services. Again, a VERY transferable skill. Adding in helping the community is just gravy on top.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Want to learn something well? Then figure out how to teach it. Think you know something? Offer to stand in front of a room of your peers - who can (and will) call you out if you're wrong - and act like an expert. Or write it up and put it on the Internet for folks to pick apart with researched references. Do that enough and you will get pretty good.

I didn't study for the Master exam. I wrote an hour-long class for each topic on it and taught that to my coworkers.

When you learn something for yourself, you tend to learn it from the 'How do I use this to solve my problem in my environment with my constraints'. When you write a paper or presentation, you approach the topic from many points of view - different environments, different scale, different regulations. Thus the phrase "You don't really know something until you can teach it to someone else". Learning a topic from that angle forces you to work with the options and parameters you normally wouldn't in your environment but others would in theirs. Done properly, writing and presenting force you out of your comfort zone, and that's when you start to grow.

I gotta admit, having a stranger come up to you at a conference excitedly telling you what they did with what they learned in your class and how much that improved their life is a really, really, cool thing.

Eddie Wuerch
    MCM: SQL

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Dillan25 wrote:

Hello!

Hello there, Dillan25.  What's cookin'?  SPAM? 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Heh... I agree with what Kathi said in her good article and what the others have cited in this thread.

I'll also say that Einstein is quoted as having said that if you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough.  My take on it is, if you can't explain it simply, you won't understand it a year or more in the future when you need to read your own stuff to explain it to yourself... again> 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply