Do DBAs Still Read Techincal Books?

• Jeff,

I think there's a good call for a T-SQL book from you 🙂

The other thing is that most authors aren't thinking performance when they write. They might be when the decide to start the book, but they get busy, they want to get it done, they go with practices and code that's designed to teach something and don't necessarily test it with large result sets. Heck, lots of authors probably don't work with large result sets.

I'm not sure I agree the books are horrible, but I do agree that the code often isn't optimized.

• sqlblue (3/28/2009)

Jeff, you probably don't remember, but you helped me once, and I have a tremendous

respect for your technique, knowledge, and for helping me.

I really think you should write sql book(s), if you have not started or done it already.

You have so much knowledge, experience, and incredible technical skills,

not to mention being considerate, thoughtful, meticulous, and

go-above-and-beyond in all your posts that I have seen.

You have no idea how many sql books I have bought, and I can go on with a long

list of my frustrations, which it may take days, and besides that was not my point.

Anyway, I hope you consider writing sql books somedays, and I would

be one of your loyal fans. :).

sqlblue

Wow... I'm humbled... thank you very much. :blush:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/28/2009)

Jeff,

I think there's a good call for a T-SQL book from you 🙂

The other thing is that most authors aren't thinking performance when they write. They might be when the decide to start the book, but they get busy, they want to get it done, they go with practices and code that's designed to teach something and don't necessarily test it with large result sets. Heck, lots of authors probably don't work with large result sets.

I'm not sure I agree the books are horrible, but I do agree that the code often isn't optimized.

It appears that there's a rising consensus on that subject. Wow... I'm almost embarrassed by the good things folks sometimes say about that. Thank you all for the overwhelming encouragement... you folks are absolutely awesome. Perhaps I'll take everyone's advice and try my hand at it.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• sqlblue (3/28/2009)

Jeff, you probably don't remember, but you helped me once...

Anytime someone gives me such an awesome compliment, I'm compelled to go find out what I did right and I did find it...

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic483382-338-1.aspx#bm484132

Thanks again for the encouragement and the reminder of what a good post should look like... with some rather long travel hours on the new job, I've found that I've gotten a bit lazy compared to that post and I need to turn that back around.

As a side bar, I'm continually amazed at how much guff I get when I tell people on a project how to document/format code... they're also the first ones to praise the documentation and easy read formatting if they have to go and modify the documented code for some reason. Heh... might make a good short chapter in a book. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Yes, please write if you can. I think a lot of people in the SQL community

would be greatly appreciated. No pressure, off course :).

Stay true like you have been, and you would be fine.

And when you become a millionaire from writing, you won't

forget that Steve and I encouraged you to write, will you? :)...just teasing.

It was nice converse with you again Jeff.

Until the next time, have a beautiful day.

sqlblue

• C'mon Jeff.

If you write a book I'll volunteer to help to proof-read it. I doubt that I'll have much work to do because the task of contributing to forums sure sharpens up one's accuracy!

I must add, on the subject of SQL Server books, that Ken Henderson's books have a very special place on my bookshelf. His writing was just so clear, and everything he wrote was wrought from experience. You get the impression that he just hated being beaten by a database problem, and he tried things out before he wrote about them. I've got a lot of SQL Server books (..used to have long train journeys), but Ken's are the books I reach for first.

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• Absolutely unbelievable... I'm truly humbled by all your good urgings. Thank you all for your confidence.

Apparently, you good folks aren't the only ones that think that I should write a book. I received an email this morning with an invitation to write a "niche" book and even though the entire prospect just scares the heck out of me, with thanks to all of you and some others who've been on me about the possibility of writing a book, I've finally accepted.

Wish me luck... I'll try not to disappoint the high regard you good folks have given me.

Man... I'm gonna need to order some good Scotch for this endeavor... 🙂

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Excellent. Congratulations and good luck.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (3/29/2009)

Excellent. Congratulations and good luck.

Heh... it's all your fault, ya know? Our conversations about 3 months ago are what started it all.

Thanks for the feedback, Grant.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• We're looking forward to seeing it on the front page here! I'm sure you'll have not shortage of good tech editors to spur you along.

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/29/2009)

We're looking forward to seeing it on the front page here! I'm sure you'll have not shortage of good tech editors to spur you along.

I understand that Tony is quite the editor and with you and Phil looking over his shoulder, I can hardly wait to get started once these bloody butterflies leave my stomach. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (3/29/2009)

Heh... it's all your fault, ya know? Our conversations about 3 months ago are what started it all.

Thanks for the feedback, Grant.

Excellent. I'll take full credit for your success then.

Kidding. Put the pork chop down.

You'll be fine. And the bleeding from one of Tony's editing sessions only lasts for three or four days, so don't worry.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (3/30/2009)

And the bleeding from one of Tony's editing sessions only lasts for three or four days, so don't worry.

You sure? I'm still wincing from the last one I got back. "I think this section needs a little more information" says the note. Net result, I spend most of the weekend adding in 2 pages of details.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I do not buy the technical books anymore. In most cases there are two major problems with most of them.

1. They are not accurate, full of mistakes. Did anyone notice that most of the technical books hit the bookstore shelves before the product they describe hits the market? They are written based on the alpha maybe beta versions of the product and are mostly the wish list then the technical documentation. And how can you have any experience with a product that is just out the door?

2. They have very wide, extensive content and are written so they can satisfy the broadest population and by doing so they dilute the content so much there is very little useful information left. For whatever reason even books marked for advanced readers have to give all the background and the basics. And the examples, in most cases they are pathetic.

For the two reasons mentioned above I prefer the internet research or specialized white papers, there are some good paper books out there but they are the minority. I like the ebooks the Redgate is publishing from time to time. They are short, precise and to the point.

Jeff, congratulations and good luck on your new venture. I hope you can stuff your book with a lot of good examples.:hehe:

---------------------------------------------
    [font="Verdana"]Nothing is impossible.
    It is just a matter of time and money.[/font]

• GilaMonster (3/30/2009)

You sure? I'm still wincing from the last one I got back. "I think this section needs a little more information" says the note. Net result, I spend most of the weekend adding in 2 pages of details.

I didn't say anything about the scars. Those are there forever.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply