Divide By Zero Error in WHERE Clause

• SELECT Field1, Field2, etc...

FROM tbl_Purchase

WHERE (Field1 / Field2) + (Other Calculations) > 0

I have a SQL statement that is similar to the above.  Field2 can be zero sometimes.  This is how the data is stored and I have to do comparison based on the value of Field1 divided by Field2.  Is there someway to re-write this query so that it'll still work?  I need some way to do something like this:

IF (Field2 > 0) THEN

(Field1 / Field2) + (Other Calculations) > 0

ELSE

0 + (Other Calculations) > 0

and use that expression in the WHERE clause.  But, TSQL doesn't work with IF statements.  I've tried using the CASE statement, but I can't get it to work either.  Does anyone know how to do this?  Thanks!

• I think the Case statement is the way to go.  Something like this:

SELECT Field1, Field2, etc...

FROM tbl_Purchase

WHERE ((case field2

when 0 then 0

else field1/field2

end)

+ (other calculations)) > 0

Regards.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• If you are going to use a case statement in your WHERE clause, I would put one in your SELECT as well to warn you that field2 is zero.

• So, if field2 is 0, you want to replace this with a 1 to avoid the division by zero error.

Try this:

field1 / ISNULL(NULLIF(field2, 0), 1)

The idea is that if field2 = 0, then convert the zero to a NULL (that's what NULLIF does) - then use ISNULL to replace the null with a 1

/Kenneth

• Kenneth, if field1 is anything other than zero, your solution won't produce the required result: instead it will produce (field1 + (other calculations)), in the case where field2 is zero.

However, this is a devious technique that I'd not come across before – I like it

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Hmm... how do you mean?

If field1 is 2 and field2 is 0, you have 2/0 which is illegal.

What you want then is 2/1 which is 2.

Agreed, this is logically the same as 'field1 + (other calcs)' - but this is exactly what we want in this case.

It works as intended allright.

What I showed was only how to avoid division by zero errors regarding field2, it is assumed that all other fields can never have a zero value.

However, it's easy to apply it on every field that may contain a zero, but for calculation purposes should then be switched to a one.

The template is the same;

ISNULL(NULLIF(myValue, 0), 1)

=;o)

/Kenneth

• Sorry to nit-pick, but just got up at 4am to watch England exit Euro 2004 on penalties, so I'm on the war-path!

Quoting from the original post, the required result in the case of field2 being zero is "0 + (Other Calculations)", not "field1 + (other calcs)".

It's going to be a long day

• Ah, my bad.

Didn't read the question close enough...

In that case,

selectCASE field2 WHEN 0 THEN 0

ELSE (field1 / field2) END

+ ( other calcs )

FROM ....

should do just as required..

/Kenneth

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply