distributed query error message

• When I run a distributed query (a query that uses a linked server), I get the following

error in query analyzer:

ODBC: Msg 0, Level 19, State 1

SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 14 generated fatal exception c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process.

Connection Broken

AND IN THE SQL SERVER LOGS:

Error: 0, Severity: 19, State: 0

SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 15 generated fatal exception c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process.

Error: 0, Severity: 19, State: 0

language_exec: Process 15 generated an access violation. SQL Server is terminating this process.

The security betweent the servers is correct.

and the table in the linked server is there and the security settings are correct as well.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP???

THANK YOU.

• Is this for all queries? My guess is your driver between the two servers is corrupt and throwing an exception.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Yes, for all and any queries and any and all linked servers.

Which driver(s) is that???

And how do I fix it?

Should I reinstall SP3? or reinstall SQL Server all together?

Thank you.

quote:

Is this for all queries? My guess is your driver between the two servers is corrupt and throwing an exception.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Try making a connection from Control Panel | Admin Tools | Data Connections. This should be the same driver.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Yes,

Thank you.

I had the wrong version driver (had the sql 2000 version) of the OBDC for SQL Server.

Thank you for all your help. 🙂

quote:

Try making a connection from Control Panel | Admin Tools | Data Connections. This should be the same driver.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Correction,

Actually after replacing the dll odbc driver (sqlsvr32.dll) file with the sql server 7.0 version of the driver, the above distributed query still gives the same error message. 🙁

Would it be feasible to attempt installing sp3 (sql server 7.0) again?

How about reinstalling sql server 7.0 completely and then restoring all the databases?

Please help!

Thank you.

quote:

Yes,

Thank you.

I had the wrong version driver (had the sql 2000 version) of the OBDC for SQL Server.

Thank you for all your help. 🙂

quote:

Try making a connection from Control Panel | Admin Tools | Data Connections. This should be the same driver.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I might try installing the update to MDAC instead. Perhaps a driver got corrupted. The MDAC drivers are what you used from the control panel.

http://www.microsoft.com/data/

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Thank you for all the suggestion, Steve.

I figured it out myself.

The problem was that for some reason, there was only one remote server and it named "(LOCAL)" instead of the server name. When I dropped the (LOCAL) remote server and then added the server name as the remote server, actually "local" remote server, then restarted the sql server service. And after that all problems were solved. I used sp_addserver 'servername' , local

Before that I had tried to reinstall sp3 and sql server itself, but both did not work.

quote:

I might try installing the update to MDAC instead. Perhaps a driver got corrupted. The MDAC drivers are what you used from the control panel.

http://www.microsoft.com/data/

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply