Distracted

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Distracted

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Had to give this one 5 stars... it should be more.  I've been going through the same thing for quite a while now.  Seems there's no end and I'm starting to say "No" and "Sure, which of the following shouldn't I do so I can do your thing"?

And the proverbial "Drive-by Shootings" have been just unbelievable.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I hear ya, Grant. Last week was bad for me as well. I took a few days off to visit my parents, who live in a remote area of Idaho. My mother's health isn't good, so there was constant concern for and about her. When I got back to work Tuesday of last week, my head just wasn't in the game. Trips like what I went on aren't really relaxing. Returning to a routine is helpful, but I don't want to give up travel to refresh and recharge. I just hope that the next trip away will be to relaxation and restoration.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Well, I hope you both get a little refresh going. I'm feeling a bit more on it today after playing radio all day Saturday (Tour De Tulsa, bike rides and the amateur radio operators in the area provide SAG, Support and Gear, for the riders) and then mowing the lawn on Sunday (we have too much lawn, plus I mowed a chunk of the neighbors when I saw the elderly lady pushing a mower). Funny enough, all that trundling around was very relaxing.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Well, I hope you both get a little refresh going. I'm feeling a bit more on it today after playing radio all day Saturday (Tour De Tulsa, bike rides and the amateur radio operators in the area provide SAG, Support and Gear, for the riders) and then mowing the lawn on Sunday (we have too much lawn, plus I mowed a chunk of the neighbors when I saw the elderly lady pushing a mower). Funny enough, all that trundling around was very relaxing.

Interesting parallel...

You have a love for amateur radio and I have a love for amateur SQL. 😀  I almost finished the near total rewrite of a presentation for the Ohio North SQL Saturday coming up on the 20th of May and I did the second mowing on my "too much" grass to cut, which was surprisingly relaxing.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Being a introvert on the far end of the scale, I noticed years ago that vacations, while important for preventing burnout at work, were a big drain on my energy.   So, I made a rule for myself: Every vacation has to have time factored in at the end for when I get back: to do nothing.  Nothing is scheduled for that time other than relaxing and doing basics to keep the house running.  How much time I schedule for the very important 'recover from vacation' need changes depending on the location, length and type of vacation/activities/people.  The point is to schedule the recovery time into vacation requests up front.

I can speak from experience that this *really* helps to being able to recuperate and start work again ready to go.  It makes life more enjoyable for me, even if it means less vacation time built up at work.

Just sharing an idea.  Thanks for the article to remind us all that we only have one life and stress comes with life.  But we don't need to make it harder on ourselves than necessary...

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply