Display values from ntext defined field

• How do I go about display the values or figuring out what the delimiter. I need to break a part the string into individual fields.

Thanks.

• You don't know the delimiter? It's not predefined/standardized?

STRING_SPLIT function is available in 2016, but would require nvarchar instead of ntext.

ntext has been deprecated since SQL Server 2008, & has limitations -- can you convert to nvarchar?

Are the values unicode? Do the values exceed 4000 characters?

• Not a standard delimiter ...

If I can find the delimiter any code I can use to parse the data?

• I was able to convert field.  I copied table to a 2016 box.

STRING_SPLIT function is available in 2016, but would require nvarchar instead of ntext.

Looks like they are using more than 1 value for delimiter..

any suggestions?

1. Read the NTEXT into an NVARCHAR(MAX).
    2. Use a Tally table function to read each character.  If it's not the letters A-Z or a-z or 0-9 or common symbols, then it must be a delimiter.  Capture that and use it as a delimiter for String_Split.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Read the NTEXT into an NVARCHAR(MAX). --> done

It appears that they used 3 characters to delineate the data  -->       |++

Use a Tally table function to read each character.  If it's not the letters A-Z or a-z or 0-9 or common symbols, then it must be a delimiter.  Capture that and use it as a delimiter for String_Split.

-- Can I still do this with the 3 character delimiter?   Not sure how to do that using String_Split.

Thx.

• I am pretty sure you have heard of the word "replace" - use it to replace those 3 chars with another single delimiter that is not used within the text.

and do not use the native string_split - slow and does not return the ordinal of the strings.

search the forums here for the delimitedsplit function that would work faster.

• select cast(replace(cast(body as nvarchar(max)),'???','?') as ntext)

from lookuptable2

where

description like '???%'

I used this template and can see that it did indeed did do the replace, but how do I capture individual fields...

• frederico_fonseca wrote:

do not use the native string_split - slow and does not return the ordinal of the strings.

Funny thing there... I've never actually tested it for performance because I never use it just because of the missing ordinal thing.

[EDIT}  Ah... now I remember why I've not tested it for performance.  Wayne Sheffield tested it way back when.  Here's his article on that subject.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/splitting-strings-in-sql-server-2016

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Jeff Moden. Reason: Added Wayne Sheffield's post

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Bruin wrote:

select cast(replace(cast(body as nvarchar(max)),'???','?') as ntext) from lookuptable2 where description like '???%'

I used this template and can see that it did indeed did do the replace, but how do I capture individual fields...

Bruin wrote:

select cast(replace(cast(body as nvarchar(max)),'???','?') as ntext) from lookuptable2 where description like '???%'

Why the REPLACE??? Are you now saying that you know what the delimiter is?

[EDIT] Ah... I missed your other post about the 3 character delimiters and now understand the reason for needing REPLACE

And, to answer the second question there... you've already been told... use a String_Splitter with the delimiter that you've found.

And, remember, we can't see your data so you're pretty much on your own there.

To repeat the steps I laid out...

1. Read the NTEXT into an NVARCHAR(MAX).

2. Use a Tally table function to read each character.  If it's not the letters A-Z or a-z or 0-9 or common symbols, then it must be a delimiter.  Capture that and use it as a delimiter for String_Split.

While String_Split may be slow ((something I've not confirmed before)) and it has no elemental ordinal in the return, you've not stated that you need to have any sense of order in the "fields" that you return.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• frederico_fonseca wrote:

do not use the native string_split - slow and does not return the ordinal of the strings.

Aaron Bertrand's tests from 2016 showed exceptionally good performance: https://sqlperformance.com/2016/03/sql-server-2016/string-split

• Sample data in field:

PartNbr|#@|Machine|#@|  ttxx23|#@|plc1|#@|  ttxx24|#@|plc2

So it looks like PartNbr|#@|Machine|   -- these are the fields

Then |  ttxx23| -- when it sees a space data starts

partnbr  Machine

ttxx23     plc1

ttxx24     plc2

any suggestions

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Bruin.
  • Bruin wrote:

Sample data in field:

PartNbr|#@|Machine|#@|  ttxx23|#@|plc1|#@|  ttxx24|#@|plc2

So it looks like PartNbr|#@|Machine|   -- these are the fields Then |  ttxx23| -- when it sees a space data starts

partnbr  Machine ttxx23     plc1 ttxx24     plc2

any suggestions

Sorry... no.   I give up.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Use delimited split using pipe as delimiter and then use MOD to select 1st and 3rd items

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• could you send a sample of that code?

Thx.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply