disabled job

• I have disabled a job 4 days ago..but when I checked the job again today..it shows that it last run is yesterday..how can this be if the job is disabled..do I have to disable anything else ..to stop the job from running...

Thanks

• If the job is disabled, it shouldn't automatically run.  Could someone have started the job manually?  Or, is there another job or stored procedure that starts this job?

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

• Bowled23,

I have experienced the same thing couple of time. Because I am the only DBA in my company and nobody else has access to these jobs. So I was also wondering how the job ran when I disabled it. When it happened second time, I just stopped and restarted the sql server agent and it solved the problem. I dont know the reason but that helped me.

Please try it and let me know if that helped.

• I concur that a job should only run iff the job is enabled and the job schedule is enabled.

The wider picture is that SQLServers can be federated together so each member can launch SQLAgent jobs (check BOL for MSX, TSX). I suspect some forgetfullness by SQLAgent to persist your changes [or perhaps YOU never actually hit that OK button!], or some cache bug may have contributed.

As previous poster, I agree that cycling SQLAgent periodically [eg Sunday night] may be a safe practice to clean out the spiders webs.

BTW we find that the MS installation defaults are inadequate for job history. Any frequent runners can poison the well with their jog entries, thus no entries for other players [FIFO rules]. We have a jobhistmax of 10,000 and a 300 per individual job limit, but your mileage may vary.

If msdb size gets too big you should review the biggest tables and hose out old entries for job, DTS etc, messages subsystems. Again that's a no-brainer for Sunday houskeeping.

HTH

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply