Dimensional Database \"examples\"

• I have read many things online regarding dimensional vs relational databases. I under that its less joins etc.. but I am having a hard idea trying to see examples.

Can anyone please "show" me some examples side by side of dimensional vs relational databases. Like I mentioned I have come across many articles which talks about it, but actually show me examples. I am more of a visual learning and would like to see the data in the respective form.

Thank you

• If you download the AdventureWorks database and the Data Warehouse version, you'll see the difference. They're very different.  I'm sure there are tutorials all over the place, but the purpose of each is different. An OLTP system has to be fast and flexible (so normalization helps a lot). In a data warehouse, the data doesn't change, and it's used for querying/summary... So the design rules are different. If you look at the two database structures (the OLTP one and the DW one) side by side, you'll see the differences. Even if you just download the really simple AdventureWorks version that Rob Collie used for his book on DAX, the differences will be really obvious. Maybe read up on dimensional modeling or star schemas.

• thank you for your reply, i will take a look at the data warehouse version as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply