I am stuck in a dilemma; at my workplace I have to choose my career track between as Microsoft BI developer or Application Developer(C#,ASP.net etc).
I have been working nearly 1 year with my current employer. It was a start-up firm and now revenue is started and they want to be now more organized. I joined as junior developer and rather than being selective I picked up whatever task they assigned to me.
Now they have given the option to select the technology track to work on. Since I have worked on both technology, I am now in dilemma what to select as my career path since i enjoyed working on both technologies and both keeps me occupied, which is making my decision process even more difficult.
I have done lots of research online. Both path has their own future/prospect. Personally, I have come up with following rationale for BI track,
- BI track is more prosperous and less saturated from jobs point of view
- Since release of MSSQL 2008, full fledged BI stack is in market, so we can see there will be more stack advancement in near future which make it ready for widespread use. If I start working on it now then i will have reasonable grasp by that time.
Application Developer -
- Lots of jobs opportunities but lots of applicants also
- number of jobs out there as compared to BI jobs
- Side by side if I developed my managerial skills then one day there will some opportunity for entering into management.
Both track are convincing me.
Here are my doubts,
- Which track has best prospect for next 5 years as a career
- Is MS BI track is more product specific/dependent i.e. MS SQLSERVER driven
- Is keeping skills up-to date in application development role more cumbersome than BI role if you want to be a market player, since Microsoft keeps minimum 3-4 years of release span between server editions as contrast to every day something new is there for .Net framework
- Your generic views on both track as career/earning or your past experience if you are gone through something like this