Diff backup and Tran Log at the same time

• We do frequent Log backup which we use in the LogShipping. There is a job which invokes that every half hour. This morning we decided we implement a Diff backup. ( we usually have I full backup on the weekend and all tran logs backups during week-its is not really good, but we didn't have a time allocation before for diff.)

Anyway, diff backup job run diff. backup successfully, but tran log shop got hanged, so I had to rerun Tran log backup job manually.

So my question is: Can Diff backup and Tran Log backup can be taken at the same time (Tran Log is reading from .ldf and diff is reading from .mdf files?) or it always has to be taken separately?

TIA

• You should be able to run them at the same time, but, the tran log job will hang until the diff job completes.  Then it should complete normally.  But to avoid confusion, you might want to consider scheduling your tran log backups around your full and diffs, so that they don't run concurrently.

Steve

• We tend to disable our transaction log backups during full and differential backups (also reindex jobs and DBCC checks), but that's mainly due to a set of jobs we have to notify us if there's any blocking going on in the database, obviously you can't do two backups at the same time so the one started last is blocked from being ran till the first one completes.

You can build in steps to disable the jobs automatically and re-enable them in the same way, i can send you details if you're interested.

• Thanks Guys.

Yes Mike, if you can send me details....

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply