DevOps is Mostly About People

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item DevOps is Mostly About People

• Steve, you've hit upon the biggest issue I contend with at work, concerning trying to get DevOps going; that's changing both people and processes. I'm a developer who I called an Accidental DevOps Engineer because I was given the job of TFS Administrator when the former TFS Admin left. Then later when we sorta tried to get Azure DevOps going I was made the Azure DevOps Administrator. However, like so many other places, the prevailing thought is that you rub a little DevOps (i.e.: whatever DevOps tool you use) on, then presto-chango, you're a DevOps company. But at the end of the day, people don't want to change, and they don't want to change processes. I know that several other places must deal with a similar misconception of what DevOps means to a company and culture.

Rod

• Same. I constantly find people want to make DevOps a set of tools, which my employer sells, and I struggle to get them to realize it's more.

• Doctor Who 2 wrote:

Steve, you've hit upon the biggest issue I contend with at work, concerning trying to get DevOps going; that's changing both people and processes. I'm a developer who I called an Accidental DevOps Engineer because I was given the job of TFS Administrator when the former TFS Admin left. Then later when we sorta tried to get Azure DevOps going I was made the Azure DevOps Administrator. However, like so many other places, the prevailing thought is that you rub a little DevOps (i.e.: whatever DevOps tool you use) on, then presto-chango, you're a DevOps company. But at the end of the day, people don't want to change, and they don't want to change processes. I know that several other places must deal with a similar misconception of what DevOps means to a company and culture.

Pretty much this. A lot of people don't want to change. It's a major disruptor to a lot of organizations. For example, the idea you can now spin up a SQL database with a simple script, have it mirrored across all environments, and deployable by a developer without an DBA is a huge one. Think about that. You no longer need a DBA to deploy a new database instance for your feature branch. You can now have a database PER feature branch if you really wanted to these days. Isolated databases only for a developer to work on where the password, users, etc are changed automatically between staging and production. Big concepts that most IT teams don't want to adopt because it takes a lot of power out their hands.

DevOps is more about a methodology than people. If you cannot get the business to adopt the process/methodologies. You are screwed.

• glenswan wrote:

DevOps is more about a methodology than people. If you cannot get the business to adopt the process/methodologies. You are screwed.

I think you just proved my point that this is more about people. If you can't get people to change their process, then it won't work. It's the people that drive this thing, or sink it.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

glenswan wrote:

I think you just proved my point that this is more about people. If you can't get people to change their process, then it won't work. It's the people that drive this thing, or sink it.

Yes and no. We have different views on the same problem. You seem to think it's an option as in, you HOPE the people follow the methodology, where I am saying, it's not an option. You either follow the methodology or there is the door. 🙂

• That would be my approach, but management doesn't always support that. And if management doesn't agree with that, then the DevOps process fails.

That's most of my point about people. Both management and other tech people have to change and support it. Most of us that work in tech don't get the option to show other people the door.

• Very, very true, Steve.

Rod

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply