DevOps is Culture

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item DevOps is Culture

• DevOps is Culture, or at least involves culture, is so true! I've been struggling trying to get my organization to change, for years. I also believe that my organization isn't the only one which struggles to adopt DevOps. Culture is sacrosanct, to many people. And thinking of DevOps as ineffective or even evil, is the prevailing mindset. We have a new CIO, who may challenge that mindset. All I can do is wait and see.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I guess DevOps has degraded to the point where you can't even get an acknowledgement to a site problem sent to the WebMaster because there's too much DevOps going on, right? 😉

Poor Steve... It sounds like he doesn't have time to even take a deep breath anymore.  Hang in there buddy.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• DEVOPS is a buzzword !!!!!

Can anybody point me  a solid guideline how to manage legacy typed databases in a DEVOPS environment? NO !

The only guideline you get is: "start small to learn to handle its quirks"

I only get to see it effectively being used on application parameter typed small databases, which typically have no affinity with other data at all.

Multiple projects / teams working on a subset of objects in a database ... haven't seen it yet

And especially: you need extra tool$$$$$ to make it work for your databases ( of any kind )

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• DevOps is a collection of tools and processes for deploying code. It's a means to an end - but not the end goal.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Johan Bijnens wrote:

DEVOPS is a buzzword !!!!!

Can anybody point me  a solid guideline how to manage legacy typed databases in a DEVOPS environment? NO !

Multiple projects / teams working on a subset of objects in a database ... haven't seen it yet

And especially: you need extra tool$$$$$ to make it work for your databases ( of any kind )

DevOps is also a buzzword, that's true Johan!

And, all the example we see, only work for small (new) teams and databases, so it seems but...

I can’t however offer you a ‘golden path’, but I do have first-hand experience to share, earned from recent efforts to transform an existing database development and release process, it can be read here or please come to my session next week at PASS.

Short version:

After a long awareness period (multiple years), we started the migration beginning 2022 and we now have successfully:

• Released over 10 database releases into production, by pipelines
    • Worked in over 100+ branches
    • Used about 2500 disposable databases
    • Forked the databases repo for a long running project
    • Project size:

• SQL Server databases with a total of 1.5TB of data
      • 10+ databases which are all interdependent (see image)
      • Dev-team 6 members

• Tools, and yes that costs some investments in money (there are alternatives):

• Flyway Desktop
      • Redgate SQL Clone
      • Azure DevOps

• Boards
        • Repo
        • Pipelines

NB: In the article the customer used doesn't exists, but at PASS the real name is used. DM if you want details.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Tonie Huizer. Reason: forgot Boards
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Tonie Huizer.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Cheers, Tonie

See you at PASS this year?
    https://passdatacommunitysummit.com/speakers/TonieHuizer

• Eric M Russell wrote:

DevOps is a collection of tools and processes for deploying code.

IMHO... that's what the word has come to mean but not for me.  You can have all the tools and processes you want for deploying code and never achieve anything close to a proper culture, which is what I believe DevOps was originally meant to be but has been corrupted by companies trying to make big $$$ via buzz-word.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Tonie Huizer wrote:

Johan Bijnens wrote:

DEVOPS is a buzzword !!!!! Can anybody point me  a solid guideline how to manage legacy typed databases in a DEVOPS environment? NO ! ... Multiple projects / teams working on a subset of objects in a database ... haven't seen it yet ... And especially: you need extra tool$$$$$ to make it work for your databases ( of any kind )

DevOps is also a buzzword, that's true Johan! And, all the example we see, only work for small (new) teams and databases, so it seems but...

I can’t however offer you a ‘golden path’, but I do have first-hand experience to share, earned from recent efforts to transform an existing database development and release process, it can be read here or please come to my session next week at PASS.

Short version:

After a long awareness period (multiple years), we started the migration beginning 2022 and we now have successfully:

• Released over 10 database releases into production, by pipelines
    • Worked in over 100+ branches
    • Used about 2500 disposable databases
    • Forked the databases repo for a long running project
    • Project size:

• SQL Server databases with a total of 1.5TB of data
      • 10+ databases which are all interdependent (see image)
      • Dev-team 6 members

• Tools, and yes that costs some investments in money (there are alternatives):

• Flyway Desktop
      • Redgate SQL Clone
      • Azure DevOps

• Boards
        • Repo
        • Pipelines

NB: In the article the customer used doesn't exists, but at PASS the real name is used. DM if you want details.

Nice.

Such a shame I'll not be at PASS next week.

Where, how and what is documented in devops for the databases and how do multiple devops projects address these databases.

What and how for the physical db stuff  - tipically dba like file placement, filegroup, compression, in-mem, columnstore, indexes, security, ... to what extend?

Most talks just handle infrasturcture and/or tools but do not handle the actuals I'm searching for, but especially caution for rollback/reverting scenario's. If I worry about the details, IMHO it's normal to fear having to rely on tools to just handle it for you.

To paraphrase the Big Bang Theory: "Please pass the butter"

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• The fear of reliance on tools is completely normal, tools do their thing (until they break ;-)) but only to support the process of the team.

The process, that's something that needs to be clear or change to be clear.

And to change a process, you need people... the right people in one (virtual) place / team.

All members of the team should understand the process, so that if tools fail, they still know what to do.

To come back to Steve's article - yes it's all about (changing) culture.

I'm writing more of this down the following months, some what anonymized but still a real world example.

Accept this reply as an invite to reach out to me. I'm happy to tell you more in detail, but I can't promise you all the answers, just my experience.

Cheers, Tonie

See you at PASS this year?
    https://passdatacommunitysummit.com/speakers/TonieHuizer

• The best manager I ever worked for was a brilliant team builder.  She had a counter part who, in theory, had the A+ developers.  Despite this her teams always outperformed those of her counterpart.

Her gift was to make every team member feel valuable.  She was always honest and clear in anything she said.  Servant leaders are rare and ones of her calibre immeasurably so.

She was lost during a restructure and thought she was just going to slip away.  Her phone never stopped ringing and her inbox filled up with messages wishing to thank her.  The impact she had on those who worked for her was immense.

She was highly regarded by business and technical colleagues which meant collaboration and communication within her teams and their business counterparts was fluid and productive.  This was the key to her teams consistent success.

Culture comes from the top.  She was the sort of person that you support knowing her success would make life so much better for everyone underneath her.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply