Design Lessons for Software

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Design Lessons for Software

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Keep it simple: Simple designs are often the best designs. By keeping things simple, you can reduce complexity and make your software easier to use.

On this note, the over all solution often will be complex by necessity but individual parts of it shouldn't be.  On that note try not to build monolithic this one thing(stored procedure, SSIS package, shell script whatever) does everything kind of solutions.

• ProtolabzeServices wrote:

Keep it simple: Simple designs are often the best designs. By keeping things simple, you can reduce complexity and make your software easier to use.

Protolabze:

I agree on the keeping it simple.  I first learned that principle back in the late 1960's when I think IBM came up with the idea of the KISS METHOD - Keep It Simple, Stupid.  This was especially importaant in those days of limited resources like storage and memory and processor power.  My first personal computer had a whole 16k of memory and we used the old 5.25" floppy disks.  That kind of thinking carried me through my whole career, and I think served well.

Another of my less popular viewpoints that I used in meetings and design sessions late in my career was:  'Do we really NEED to do this sh!t?".  This has 'come home to roost' (an old farmer metafore) as my wife and I are 'breaking in' our two-week-old Honda CRV (actually breaking in ourselves to use it).  The thing has no keys, just a pocket remote.  As long as the remote is in my pocket, the doors unlock themselves.  Then, if I have my foot on the brake, I touch a button to start it, no key.  And when I come to a stop sign, it turns itself off, then restarts when I hit the accellerator.  Using the KISS Method concept, I ask myself "What do I do it it fails to restart?"  On our first 'cruise' in it, my wife spent the two hours syncing her phone to it so we could used the GPS software and figuring out how to control the satelite radio.   The owner's manual for it is several times the size of the old 'IBM Manual' from which I learned Assembler Language, and far more complicated.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• skeleton567 wrote:

Another of my less popular viewpoints that I used in meetings and design sessions late in my career was:  'Do we really NEED to do this sh!t?".  This has 'come home to roost' (an old farmer metafore) as my wife and I are 'breaking in' our two-week-old Honda CRV (actually breaking in ourselves to use it).  The thing has no keys, just a pocket remote.  As long as the remote is in my pocket, the doors unlock themselves.  Then, if I have my foot on the brake, I touch a button to start it, no key.  And when I come to a stop sign, it turns itself off, then restarts when I hit the accellerator.  Using the KISS Method concept, I ask myself "What do I do it it fails to restart?"  On our first 'cruise' in it, my wife spent the two hours syncing her phone to it so we could used the GPS software and figuring out how to control the satelite radio.   The owner's manual for it is several times the size of the old 'IBM Manual' from which I learned Assembler Language, and far more complicated.

lol, I get the sentiment but I actually love never having to take a key out of my pocket anymore.  I have a new CRV as well and I will admit I can't stand the engine turning on and off all the time.  You can disable it but only temporarily, it will reset itself when you turn the car off.  I get that it's better for the environment but I wonder if that leads to additional wear on some parts.  Lastly, that slight delay sucks when you are trying to pull into a busy street.  You can pre-emptively start the engine back up by gently pulling back on the break and pressing it back down.  It's just a pain...

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• Some days I look out at the world and ask myself "What have we done?"

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• skeleton567 wrote:

Some days I look out at the world and ask myself "What have we done?"

Amen

In the old days my hearing aids had an on off switch.  These days they have a 10 second boot-up routine and play a jingle that could have only come from the Cyrius Cybernetics Corporation.

My wife has just bought a 2nd hand Skoda Kamiq with a large touch screen display.  Probably great if you are a passenger.  A menace if you are a driver.  Who thought ventilation controls and demisting via a touch screen was a good idea?

• David.Poole wrote:

skeleton567 wrote:

Some days I look out at the world and ask myself "What have we done?"

Amen

In the old days my hearing aids had an on off switch.  These days they have a 10 second boot-up routine and play a jingle that could have only come from the Cyrius Cybernetics Corporation.

Would you believe my father in law's hearing aids would constantly "pocket dial me" (ear dial in this case)?

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• LOL. That's exactly how I feel about touchscreen radio controls. Are those things designed to kill me? I thought the whole idea was to be able to use the radio with my eyes closed - so that I can watch the road the whole time.  maybe the car just wants me dead?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply