Deleted

• Deleted.

• chocthree - Friday, October 12, 2018 5:57 AM

I'm someone who does enjoy people interaction so am worried about being pigeon holed as a techie - hence wishing for the opportunity to do reporting in the near future. Don't wish to limit myself to just integration.

I'm entirely not sure if IT is for you at all anymore, honestly.

Why? Well when I look down at my current position which is BI Dev right now, there is someone from Business that wants some KPIs in a Report to be available. So there will be some sort of Business Relationship Manager that sits in between you and the actual requestor* - hopefully for you - that checks all requirements thoroughly, once that's done your job begins: Sit in the rabbit hole and make the report based on the specifications happen so ... I would consider looking at something else if you don't want to be looked at as the techie.

*if you interact with business directly and have to set specifications in stone yourself, you'll get to enjoy loads of meetings / telcos and once you've programmed what you were supposed to do there might be a "minor tweak" which breaks everything you've built. You'll maybe enjoy that once but after the second time you won't see anymore fun in this.

• I changed roles just over a year ago.  Like you I am based in the UK, however I am not sure location really makes a huge difference.

My previous role I held for around 13 years, and it developed nicely.  I had business interaction and worked with data and built ETL processes and put in a reporting system using SSIS and SSRS.  The business was about to go through a D365 implementation and I would have been involved in that project in terms of the ETL process and data loading.  As it currently stands that project still hasn't gone live. 

As I said I chose to leave the business.  I currently work for a legal firm and my projects basically involved building an ETL process from OnPrem data to Azure.  This ends up with a reporting environment for the team to write reports from.  I have enjoyed this particular role also, however it has been limited due to IT road blocks, something I have not been used to in the past. 
    I have been able to do some Power BI work here as well and I agree with you it is a nice tool, and it has the ability to delivery some quick business wins.

Recently another oopportunity has arisen which I have taken as this has the potential to put in new systems and processes from the ground up as this will be a brand new BI team.  I am hopeful that we will be using new technologies which does excite me.

Thinking back across all of this producing business reports and working with business has given me the most enjoyment, hence why I think this new role will be very good.  And from you have said so far you seem to prefer this kind of interaction as well.  Power BI is a great product use and Microsoft are investing heavily with a regular release and update programme.
    The value you can give to the business using these kind of tools is very rewarding.

HTH a bit.

Mark

• Heh... being at retirement age and looking back, I can tell you that two of the most important things for a job are 1) doing it with people that you actually like and 2) doing what YOU actually like.  I've mostly been pretty lucky (or skillful... it happened too often to be just luck for me... it may be because I change the job when I get there) in those areas and I've also been fairly successful money wise.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply