Defining Weighted Average as Aggregate Function

• I have a cube with two measures "Margin Percent" and "Order Quantity" respectively.

"Order Quantity" has the SUM aggregate function as I want the Quantities to be added when I go to higher levels.

As for "Profit Margin", I want to aggregate it by calculating the Weighted Average using "Order Quantity" as a weight. The formula for this is

Weighted Average ("Profit Margin") =

[Sum("Profit Margin" * "Order Quantity")] / [Sum("Order Quantity")]

When I am at the leaf level the "profit margin" is correct. However if i am higher, I have to go to the leaf level to calculate the formula for all the descendants.

Has anyone come across this problem?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: For example

Profit Margin | Order Quantity | (Profit Margin * Order Quantity)

1% | 100000 | 100000

2% | 1000 | 2000

10% | 100 | 1000

------------- -------------- -------------------------------

| 101100 | 103000

Weighted Average =(103000 / 101100) = 1,01879

• Hi,

Weighted averages are tackled at the bottom. To overcome your non leaf level wrong values, you have to create a calculated column in your fact table (DSV)

Step 1

Add a column in your fact table view, or (Calculated column in DSV) thus in the Relational database, holding the product of

[Profit Margin] and [Order Quantity]

looks like this

, [Profit Margin] * [Order Quantity] AS [Profit Margin OQW] --OQW = Order quantity weighted..

Step 2

Add this one as a new measure to your cube 'Aggregate function' = SUM

Step 3

Create a Calculated measure in your cube calculations tab

name [OQW Profit Margin]

IIF ( ISEMTPY ([Measures].[Order Quantity]) OR [Measures].[Order Quantity] = 0 , NULL , [Measures].[Profit Margin OQW] / [Measures].[Order Quantity] )

Hopes this helps

• Big thanks Kees,

You nailed that explanation,

Tks JK

Tks,

JK

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply