Default trace - A Beginner's Guide

• That did the trick!

Duh! I should have looked closer to the where clause.

Thank you,

Lori

• This is incredibly cool! I just queried the trace to find the cause of a mysterious nightly error I've been seeing for months! Turns out its from a SQL Agent Job that isn't even scheduled to run (so of course I wasn't looking at it).

Thanks for this very helpful article. It's great to have another tool in my DBA bag of tricks 🙂

Susan

• Helpful article Adam - thank you.

How can I use this to trace Queries and Sp activity?

Peter

Melbourne, Australia

• I recently had cause to revisit this fine article... well done, Adam. Great for neophytes and alumni alike.

As a side bar, here's the code I ended up using which could actually be turned into an iTVF...

SELECT trc.LoginName,

-- trc.LoginSID,

trc.SPID,

trc.IsSystem,

trc.HostName,

trc.ApplicationName,

trc.ServerName,

trc.DatabaseName,

trc.ObjectName,

evt.Category_ID,

CategoryName = cat.name,

trc.TextData,

trc.StartTime,

trc.EventClass,

trc.EventSubClass,

EventName = evt.name

FROM FN_TRACE_GETTABLE( (

SELECT CAST([Value] AS NVARCHAR(4000)) --Drive, path, and filename of trace file

FROM FN_TRACE_GETINFO(0) --0 = Current Server

WHERE [Property] = 2 --2 = Trace File Path

)

,0) trc --0 = Latest default trace file

INNER JOIN sys.Trace_Events evt ON eventclass = trace_event_id

INNER JOIN sys.Trace_Categories cat ON evt.category_id = cat.category_id

WHERE trc.DatabaseName = 'somedatabasenamehere'

AND trc.ObjectName = 'somesqlserverobjectnamehere'

;

Heh... and, no... I don't code for things to work on case sensitive servers. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• peter-970097 (9/21/2010)

Helpful article Adam - thank you.

How can I use this to trace Queries and Sp activity?

Peter

Melbourne, Australia

I don't believe you can. The default trace wasn't setup to detect such things. You'll have to setup your own trace for such things.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (12/2/2010)

I recently had cause to revisit this fine article... well done, Adam. Great for neophytes and alumni alike.

As a side bar, here's the code I ended up using which could actually be turned into an iTVF...

SELECT trc.LoginName,

-- trc.LoginSID,

trc.SPID,

trc.IsSystem,

trc.HostName,

trc.ApplicationName,

trc.ServerName,

trc.DatabaseName,

trc.ObjectName,

evt.Category_ID,

CategoryName = cat.name,

trc.TextData,

trc.StartTime,

trc.EventClass,

trc.EventSubClass,

EventName = evt.name

FROM FN_TRACE_GETTABLE( (

SELECT CAST([Value] AS NVARCHAR(4000)) --Drive, path, and filename of trace file

FROM FN_TRACE_GETINFO(0) --0 = Current Server

WHERE [Property] = 2 --2 = Trace File Path

)

,0) trc --0 = Latest default trace file

INNER JOIN sys.Trace_Events evt ON eventclass = trace_event_id

INNER JOIN sys.Trace_Categories cat ON evt.category_id = cat.category_id

WHERE trc.DatabaseName = 'somedatabasenamehere'

AND trc.ObjectName = 'somesqlserverobjectnamehere'

;

Heh... and, no... I don't code for things to work on case sensitive servers. 😛

Jeff,

I prefer to use sys.traces over fn_trace_getinfo and then you can do an cross apply on fn_Trace_gettable. Like this:

sys.traces T CROSS APPLY

sys.fn_trace_gettable(CASE WHEN CHARINDEX('_', T.[path]) <> 0

THEN SUBSTRING(T.PATH, 1, CHARINDEX('_', T.[path]) - 1) + '.trc'

ELSE T.[path]

End, T.max_files) TRC

• Thanks for the tip, Jack.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Trace ID '3' was stopped because of an error. Cause: Stopping the trace because the current trace file is full and the rollover option is not specified.. Restart the trace after correcting the problem.

i am getting this error on SQL Server, There is default error message enabled on SQL.

How to specifiy the roll over option on default trace.

if i open any default trace files, i am unable to view any roll option on SQL Server profiles studio.

Any idea would be appreciated.

• Default trace typicaly has trace id 1.

Check sys.traces to figure out what kind of trace that is, what file it tries to write to, and check if you can correct that problem

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• gaffar786 (12/18/2010)

Trace ID '3' was stopped because of an error. Cause: Stopping the trace because the current trace file is full and the rollover option is not specified.. Restart the trace after correcting the problem.

i am getting this error on SQL Server, There is default error message enabled on SQL.

How to specifiy the roll over option on default trace.

if i open any default trace files, i am unable to view any roll option on SQL Server profiles studio.

Any idea would be appreciated.

You can't modify the default trace beyond stopping it using sp_configure. As ALZDBA mentioned the default trace is usually trace id 1 in sys.traces, but a better way to tell is to check the is_default column for the trace. I've never seen the Default Trace anything but 1, but if you have common criteria or C2 auditing enabled it might get a different id.

• Here is a more detailed article about the Default trace: http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/the-default-trace-in-sql-server---the-power-of-performance-and-security-auditing/[/url]

Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    Albert Einstein

• Here is a nice set of reports on the Default trace: http://sqlconcept.com/default-trace-audit-documentation-and-faq

Albert Einstein

• sibir1us (5/9/2011)

Here is a nice set of reports on the Default trace: http://sqlconcept.com/default-trace-audit-documentation-and-faq%5B/quote%5D

Too bad you have to sign up for yet one more site in order to review/use the item detailed in the post. Maybe its just me but its relaly annoying to be required to sign up for yet one more sites list just to read/review something teh author wants to actualy share with others.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • YSLGuru (5/10/2011)

sibir1us (5/9/2011)

Here is a nice set of reports on the Default trace: http://sqlconcept.com/default-trace-audit-documentation-and-faq%5B/quote%5D

Too bad you have to sign up for yet one more site in order to review/use the item detailed in the post. Maybe its just me but its relaly annoying to be required to sign up for yet one more sites list just to read/review something teh author wants to actualy share with others.

It is worth it, trust me. 🙂

Albert Einstein

• sibir1us (5/10/2011)

YSLGuru (5/10/2011)

sibir1us (5/9/2011)

Too bad you have to sign up for yet one more site in order to review/use the item detailed in the post. Maybe its just me but its really annoying to be required to sign up for yet one more sites list just to read/review something the author wants to actually share with others.

It is worth it, trust me. 🙂

It very well maybe but the point is you don't know until you've gone thru the sign up process. Its one thing to sign up at a site you plan to visit regularly like this one but if you have to register just to review/read something advertised on another site I think thats asking too much in this day and age. Then again maybe most foilks like collecting site registrations like some collect stamps and its just me who prefers not to have to register every time.

I did get a post from what I assume is the site owner saying the registration was to discourage those who only wanted to review the default trace file and that they did not have time to spam the emails of those who registered. Not sure where the user read anything about being accused of spamming however its their site so they can put in place what ever restrictions they want.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply