Dealing with Failure

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Dealing with Failure

• Some of the best projects I've worked on were initiated in response to some failure (ie: v2 redesign of the v1 thing that failed). In the wake of a disaster, goals and funding get shaken up and re-prioritized. Not just in IT, but also in general, most innovation is in response to something.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• To Eric's point, my grandfather was a pioneer in Vibration Analysis, a field which developed in large part due to the Tacoma Narrows bridge disaster in 1940. There are lots of other use cases for needing to understand vibration mechanics, but that was certainly one of the more stunning representations.

And apparently I am become Brent, destroyer of projects. Going to take Allen's suggestion and pair training with tasks for a while, see how that pans out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• I wonder what's going through the minds of the Engineers at Boeing on the 737 Max issue right now.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Steve,
    I subscribe to SQL ServerCentral not for the SQL Stuff alone.  In fact, I love the often off topics.
    This is a perfect example of why I love your newsletter, personal experiences, and informative stories from others.
    Don’t ever change that!
    Frank

• Thanks, Frank.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply