DBNETLIB error on connection

• I'm running SQL 2000 with SP3a on an NT Server with SP6a. I am connecting to SQL thru a custom third party software. I have two locations on separate networks that must access the SQL server. Inhouse, anyone on any OS can access, however the remote site can only access the SQL thru a Win98 connection. Win2k and WinXP machines will not connect, they only give the following error:

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL server does not exist or access denied.

All machines with permission can map a drive and browse the server containing SQL, but ONLY Win98 can actually connect to SQL remotely.

I've played with the TCP/IP settings and Named Pipes as well, but to no avail. I'm not an SQL guru, just a basic net admin having to learn as I go. Why would Win98 connect remotely and nothing else will?

• Looks like the client machine using named pipes (Default), try to change the connection to use TCP/IP.

• 1- use odbcping from the clients and make sure the account can login.

2- Check Client Network Utility and Server network utilities to verify both are in synch

HTH

* Noel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply