DBCC Shrinkfile & Shrinkdatabase

• Thanks, I appreciate the input. But as previously stated, truncating/shrinking the log file is not a problem. 😉

It's getting that MDF down to size...

• So when you execute :

DBCC Shrinkfile (1,1)

What does it return?

• It returns the following:

DbID: 18

FileID: 1

CurrentSize: 13887128

MinimumSize: 152

UsedPages: 234824

EstimatedPages: 234528

Even though the current size reflects what it should be, the size of the file on the OS is still 110GB

• Did you run a DBCC Checkcatalog and does it return without error? I have seen situations where orphaned tables (the columns exist in syscolumns but the objectid is not in sysobjects) were taking up a lot of space that didn't show up. I didn't remember it behaving like this though.

I have a server where we bring in customers databases and try to reproduce an issue and do additional development so I am accustomed to trying to fit as many databases on a server as I can, knowing they won't grow.

• You can use the script on the link below to shrink your database data file in small increments. It will take a while to shrink it, but it will get the job done. Since this is for testing, you should put the DB in simple recovery mode first to prevent log file growth.

You should probably defragment the indexes and update the statistics when this script completes, because it will cause fragmentation.

Shrink DB File by Increment to Target Free Space

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=80355

• No errors with DBCC Checkcatalog.

Thanks for the script Michael. It's a nice to have, but unfortunately didn't shrink it...

Appreciate the help though.

• You might try rebuilding all the indexes with 100% Fill factor, run DBCC updateusage and then try shrinking again.

• Thanks Cliff.

Still no joy. I'm really stumped. Funny thing is this happens every time I restore this db...

• try sp_spaceused @updateusage = true

• Lian Pretorius (4/9/2008)

Thanks Cliff.

Still no joy. I'm really stumped. Funny thing is this happens every time I restore this db...

Yes, I had a database like that and that's how I discovered the catalog corruption issue. I thought that was going to be your problem since those objects take up space but don't show up in the system cataloge. Once I fixed all the orphaned objects I was able to reclaim the space. I am out of ideas.

Make sure this returns no rows:

SELECT DISTINCT id

FROM SYSCOLUMNS

WHERE id NOT IN (SELECT ID FROM SYSOBJECTS)

• Thanks again Cliff.

No rows returned. I don't think any objects(tables) are orphaned as I only truncate & delete data, not dropping tables. I'll pray this weekend & start afresh on Monday :crazy:

• Pls Keep us posted.

"Keep Trying"

• I have a straightforward method of truncating the log file to the minimum size. Please note that one of the forum members have suggested me not to use it, but couldn't give any reason at all in support.....

I have used it many times without any apparent side effects. Run the following scripts -

sp_dboption ' ','trunc. log on chkpt.','true'

CHECKPOINT

Then shrink the log file, specifying the minimum size.

For the database.....

As from your case, it is evident that you query your database more than you insert or update.....

Cliff Jones is correct....rebuild the indexes...

Chandrachurh Ghosh
    DBA – MS SQL Server
    Ericsson India Global Services Limited
    Quality is not an act, it is a habit.

• Thanks. The log is fine.

I have re-biult the indexes, but the filesize (of the primary file - MDF) doesn't change after shrinking.

• Hi

Do you have anything other than the normal "things" in the db. Any image , Varchar(MAX)... columns. Any encryption or anything else that could give a clue on this.

"Keep Trying"

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply