DBAs and the art of persuasion

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item DBAs and the art of persuasion

• Hi All,

In my case as I am currently reading Brad McGhee's book " The Exceptional DBA", I totally feel that "The Art of persusion" is inherent in almost of us at some point in our lives, whether during Childhood asking for your fav Video game or Tennis Racket or whatever... from your parents, when you gave them *that look* :)..,

convincing your Managers is whole different ball game, especially when it comes to recommending and influencing them that would make your job easier.

I had a similar experience at a company, where I used to be a DBA / Documentation Writer. I was asked to deliver the entire Database documentation, scripts and relevant details within 2 business days. I was really thinking that time, how the heck am I gonna do that :(?

But then with a bit of luck and help from Google. I managed to download a tool and have the documentation done within 15 mins ;).

After I spoke to my Manager, he was so surprised and taken aback that I got that promotion and I convinced them to buy the tool.

Remember Art of Persusion need not always be through words, but through actions that deliver results and can help take the organization forward, and best of all make your DBA life a Dream experiencing Reality.

Cheers!

Anil Mahadev

Senior SQL Server DBA

MISPL

Bangalore

INDIA

• Like most database developers, DBA, and architects, I'm most charged up when thinking about the creating the best, most optimal system. When it comes to arguing for an expenditure, usually in terms with bean-counting appeal, my enthusiasm wanes. As a developer, architect, and DBA, I'm happiest inside that problem-solving bubble, but like death and taxes, the ability to articulately and persuasively argue for necessary tools presents a challenge of necessity. When overall effectiveness as leaders in a technological space is evaluated at a higher level, such as that presented in an annual review or job interview, the ability to successfully lobby for and get tools needed translates into better performance.

There are lots of non-code, non-design aspects of our worklives that feedback into our success. Effective communication certainly is one. This seems another aspect of that. It's a skill that all truly effective professionals need, if only to be the creators of their own destinies. It's a critical part of how one becomes a technological leader. Sharpening our skills in this area shouldn't be left to those more "buisiness-minded" folk. We must tackle this task to be the leaders we desire to be.

Russell T. Gould, Ph.D.
    Medford, Oregon

• anil.mahadev2009 (1/24/2009)

But then with a bit of luck and help from Google. I managed to download a tool and have the documentation done within 15 mins ;).

Heh... no, no... not gonna let you off that easy... what's the URL to get the too from? 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi Tony,

I agree. More information on expenditure justification is needed, and the skills are transferrable to othe arenas of professional life.

:{> Andy

Andy Leonard, Chief Data Engineer, Enterprise Data & Analytics

• Hi Jeff,

I used a tool called SQLDOC 🙂 from Red-Gate.

Cheers!

Anil

• anil.mahadev2009 (1/24/2009)

Hi Jeff,

I used a tool called SQLDOC 🙂 from Red-Gate.

Cheers!

Anil

Cool... thanks.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• It was a great session with Paul and the art of negotiating is something that everyone could do better with. It is definitely important, not just for tools, but also for presenting any of your ideas to other people.

• Hi Jeff,

Most Welcome :)!

Here's Wishing my FellowSQL DBA Friends A very Happy and fulfilling year ahead for all of you.

May all your wishes and career goals come true.

Cheers!

Anil Mahadev

Senior SQL Server DBA

MISPL

Bangalore

INDIA

• Have to agree with a previous comment - mos tof use are way happier problem-solving than talking.

My recent experience was that I *knew* SQL Prompt would help me and a few others, but trying to quantify the benefit I found really diffcult. You can't say "this will save me X hours a week to do ther stuff".

Eventually, what I did was download the demo. Install it on mine and 3 other people's machines. Showed them how it worked and what it did. After a week, I removed it from everyone but mine (I'm not silly) and then asked them what difference it made.

Backed by those 3 people, we have now got a 5-user license.

Sometimes it's better to let other people do the talking for you.

DBA (Dogsbody with Bad Attitude)

• One thing I find useful, when presenting a case for whatever (expense or anything else), is rehearse it first (if it'll involve any face-to-face, or might).

Play the part of devil's advocate against yourself, in your imagination. Make your case, then take the viewpoint of Scrooge, and try to poke holes in your own request. Work out how to cover those holes. Rinse, repeat. Once you've got a request, written or verbal, that you yourself can't poke any holes in, it's probably good enough to give to a manager.

It can actually be kind of fun to roleplay that way, and I've found it very helpful in this kind of thing.

Another thing I've found very useful is that I call "Judo Arguments". If someone disagrees with you on something, don't hit them head on. Use their argument in your own favor. Don't tell someone they're wrong, tell them they are right, but ask if they've taken X, Y and Z into account. The statement, "good point. Have to agree with you on that one. But that actually helps point out why we need to ..." Never butt heads with someone whose agreement you need. It just brings ego into the equation. Take what they said, and make it support your own position.

Again, that's something you can rolelay-practice when working out your proposal in the first place.

Yet another point to keep in mind is never, ever assume you're right. Prove it, or be prepared to drop something if someone else presents a better idea, or if new data makes it not the right thing to accomplish at that time.

Another useful thing can be to start from the viewpoint of "how will what I want make life easier/better for the person I want it from?" Present from the viewpoint of how it will help the person whose approval, etc., you need.

And, most important of all, is remember that the vast majority of people like to help other people. Only a small percentage will not response positively to, "I could really use some help on something." How you request it will vary, depending on what you want. Could be as simple as, "Hey boss, I'm drowning a bit here, and I found something that might help, but I want your opinion on it," and take them to the RedGate site. Could be a lot more complex than that. But it boils down to, "I need YOUR help, please."

Using those points, I've been a very successful salesman, and had great success at getting what I need to get many other jobs done. Pick any of these that seem valid to you, try them out, see if they help. I've gotten a lot of mileage from them, and so have others who've tried them.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply