DBA progress/career development/ path

• Hi

I am an post-grad and mssql server dba with around 5/6 years of experience and currently confused about my carrier progression and with all this cloud automation i am worried that dba (purely administrator role) might get diminished or disappear whole together so i am here for help

I would like to know what is sql server dba carrier path/progression/development. I mean i have regularly heard  of junior /senior dba but what about post senior dba. Who is considered junior dba and who is considered as snr dba. What is minimum years of experience for one to consider as junior/senior dba. What are roles and responsibilities of each post ..

Also can you suggest name of  wedsites where i can test my knowledge  sql server dba .

Also can plz suggest and appropriate certification for both dba  and some non dba which can help in carrier development. Like certification of mssql / cloud /

Can one switch from dba to data scientist ??? can sql server dba become Data scientist ??? who can become data scientist .does it involves any coding as i am not good with it

please help and suggest

Regards

• I don't know of anything beyond senior DBA. You can certainly switch roles to something else, and some people move to be managers or architects, but the progression isn't a standard one. Many companies don't have DBAs, and often have that role fulfilled by developers or infrastructure/sysadmin people.

The core things a DBA does don't go away. Tuning, data quality, security, integrity, lots of those still exist in the cloud environments. They do get automated, and there might be less staff per database/TB/etc., but the work exists.

As far as data science goes, this is a lot of statistics and analysis. I think a decent amount of coding, but really lots of data cleansing/movement/ETL type work.

• I have worked with a few data scientists and none of them can do DBA work. The two areas are so distinctly different. Every data scientist I have worked with has a doctorate in mathematics and one in statistics. Data scientists analyse the data, the DBA makes that data available to the scientists and does everything to ensure the data meets their needs through developing the tools to move the data to the DW. Most data scientists end up learning ETL but I have found they usually leave that to the DBA. They do the design though as everyone I have met has BI as a key skill set.

So with such a difference in entry paths unless you have IT and Mathematics or are studying mathematics while earning as a DBA then there is no promotion path.

• dogramone wrote:

I have worked with a few data scientists and none of them can do DBA work.

BWAAAAA-HAAAAA-HAAAA!!!  Heh... you struck a funny bone because I've found that to be true with some people that call themselves "DBA"s . 😀

dogramone wrote:

Data scientists analyse the data, the DBA makes that data available to the scientists and does everything to ensure the data meets their needs through developing the tools to move the data to the DW. Most data scientists end up learning ETL but I have found they usually leave that to the DBA

That's something that will never go away and has been going on for a very long time.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I don't know of anything beyond senior DBA. You can certainly switch roles to something else, and some people move to be managers or architects, but the progression isn't a standard one. Many companies don't have DBAs, and often have that role fulfilled by developers or infrastructure/sysadmin people.The core things a DBA does don't go away. Tuning, data quality, security, integrity, lots of those still exist in the cloud environments. They do get automated, and there might be less staff per database/TB/etc., but the work exists.As far as data science goes, this is a lot of statistics and analysis. I think a decent amount of coding, but really lots of data cleansing/movement/ETL type work. 

dogramone wrote:

I have worked with a few data scientists and none of them can do DBA work. The two areas are so distinctly different. Every data scientist I have worked with has a doctorate in mathematics and one in statistics. Data scientists analyse the data, the DBA makes that data available to the scientists and does everything to ensure the data meets their needs through developing the tools to move the data to the DW. Most data scientists end up learning ETL but I have found they usually leave that to the DBA. They do the design though as everyone I have met has BI as a key skill set.So with such a difference in entry paths unless you have IT and Mathematics or are studying mathematics while earning as a DBA then there is no promotion path. 

Jeff Moden wrote:

dogramone wrote:

I have worked with a few data scientists and none of them can do DBA work.

BWAAAAA-HAAAAA-HAAAA!!!  Heh... you struck a funny bone because I've found that to be true with some people that call themselves "DBA"s . 😀

dogramone wrote:

Data scientists analyse the data, the DBA makes that data available to the scientists and does everything to ensure the data meets their needs through developing the tools to move the data to the DW. Most data scientists end up learning ETL but I have found they usually leave that to the DBA

That's something that will never go away and has been going on for a very long time.

Hello  Steve ,Dogramone & Jeff

Thanks for advice

Can you suggest me some good certifications related to sql and no sql that can help in my carrier

• I have been reading that DBAs are going to go away as well.  The first time that I read that was probably 20 years ago.

Don't worry about the career going away.  It won't.  AWS and Azure make it easier to set up a database server, but also make it easier to make mistakes.

• Scott Arendt wrote:

I have been reading that DBAs are going to go away as well.  The first time that I read that was probably 20 years ago.

Don't worry about the career going away.  It won't.  AWS and Azure make it easier to set up a database server, but also make it easier to make mistakes.

Totally true and I read the same thing every year starting about 22 years ago. 😀

If you REALLY want to ensure your future as a DBA, learn T-SQL really, REALLY well on the system, application, and performance sides of the house.  I cannot speak for others but that's been the mainstay of my personal success in this business and I'm still teaching myself new things to do with it.  I'll also state that the single greatest skill to teach yourself is how to quickly make a million row test table to fit the problem (any problem) at hand.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• T-sql/sql programming is weak points of mine between should  is do azure certifications for future or at present certifications related to 2016 would do ?? as i have heard that Microsoft is goin to remove those certifications in near future

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply