DBA Certification

• I have noticed the 2016 server exams are expiring Jan 31, 2021. I need to get certified as a DBA (as part of my "newbie" orientation to SQL), but I can not find information on what the new, or next, certification for MS SQL DBA will be; does anyone know? I can't find 2019 exams yet, for example.

• There will be no SQL 2019 exams.

Microsoft are moving away from "product" focused exams to "role" focused exams and are all based on the Azure platform.

After 70-761/70-762 70-764/70-765 70-767/70-768 are retired, the next path would be the DP exams.

DP-100 (generally available)

DP-200&DP-201 (generally available)

DP-300 (this is currently in beta)

There are other DP exams out their for specific technologies like DP-060, but if you want to follow the "traditional" path then 764/765 will be replaced with DP-300 for the "DBA" role.

• Thanks for the info. I think I might give some thought into just doing those 2 exams before the end of Jan and having the "legacy" cert, that will go on the resume as a small feather, same as the new exams.

• The cert will be on your "active" portion of your transcript for 2 years after the exams/courses/certs retire.  After the 2 years it will move to the "inactive" section, so they are still worth progressing, especially as most people will still have some on-prem setups, even after they can/when move to the cloud.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I am planning to do DP-900 next year and it looks pretty simple to do. And DP-300 after this one. DP-300 is not beta any more!

• Now we know why I've never bothered with certifications.  It's like trying to take a bite out of a rolling donut.  And the one cert that I trusted (MCM), they discontinued.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Evgeny Garaev wrote:

I am planning to do DP-900 next year and it looks pretty simple to do. And DP-300 after this one. DP-300 is not beta any more!

I would highly recommend before doing any Azure certification to do AZ-900 before any others.

This is the Azure Fundamentals course/exam and touches on the basics of most of the Azure platform which is important in any role, that then ties into DP-900 for the Azure Data Fundamentals nicely.  Once you have both the 2 AZ-900 & DP-900 then I would look at moving to the other exams as those two set the foundations for the rest.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

..the one cert that I trusted (MCM), they discontinued.

I have MCM SQL Server 2008 😉

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply