DBA Certification

• stevec883

Old Hand

I have noticed the 2016 server exams are expiring Jan 31, 2021. I need to get certified as a DBA (as part of my "newbie" orientation to SQL), but I can not find information on what the new, or next, certification for MS SQL DBA will be; does anyone know? I can't find 2019 exams yet, for example.

• anthony.green

SSC Guru

There will be no SQL 2019 exams.

Microsoft are moving away from "product" focused exams to "role" focused exams and are all based on the Azure platform.

After 70-761/70-762 70-764/70-765 70-767/70-768 are retired, the next path would be the DP exams.

DP-100 (generally available)

DP-200&DP-201 (generally available)

DP-300 (this is currently in beta)

There are other DP exams out their for specific technologies like DP-060, but if you want to follow the "traditional" path then 764/765 will be replaced with DP-300 for the "DBA" role.

• stevec883

Old Hand

Thanks for the info. I think I might give some thought into just doing those 2 exams before the end of Jan and having the "legacy" cert, that will go on the resume as a small feather, same as the new exams.

• anthony.green

SSC Guru

The cert will be on your "active" portion of your transcript for 2 years after the exams/courses/certs retire.  After the 2 years it will move to the "inactive" section, so they are still worth progressing, especially as most people will still have some on-prem setups, even after they can/when move to the cloud.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply