Daylight savings is for the birds!

• Heh, really just a nitpick but it's annoying. Can you put in a timezone for Arizona and Hawaii that doesn't move around with daylight savings? I know we're a pita, but we like it that way. Never understood why I need to move clocks around when I don't own Roosters anyway. 🙂

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• While we are on the subject of things that annoy us but cannot control...

there are a pair of stop lights near my house that take entirely too long to change to allow side traffic in.

five minutes at a stop light waiting for it to change is entirely too long during the morning commute, i don't care how many people are going in that direction :-P:-P

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• How about we just get rid of Daylight Savings altogether?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• LOL, I know this is (was) the suggestions forum, but I can't change either of those things.

Well, I could put a .22 through Lowell's light, but it would be a temporary fix.

We should whack DST. Not sure what it does these days.

• Evil Kraig F (1/19/2012)

Heh, really just a nitpick but it's annoying. Can you put in a timezone for Arizona and Hawaii that doesn't move around with daylight savings? I know we're a pita, but we like it that way. Never understood why I need to move clocks around when I don't own Roosters anyway. 🙂

Actually, the time zones for Arizona and Hawaii are the ones that don't change. It's all the other states where the UTC offset changes.

Arizona stays constant at UTC-7 and Hawaii stays constant at UTC-10.

• Michael Valentine Jones (1/19/2012)

Evil Kraig F (1/19/2012)

Heh, really just a nitpick but it's annoying. Can you put in a timezone for Arizona and Hawaii that doesn't move around with daylight savings? I know we're a pita, but we like it that way. Never understood why I need to move clocks around when I don't own Roosters anyway. 🙂

Actually, the time zones for Arizona and Hawaii are the ones that don't change. It's all the other states where the UTC offset changes.

Agreed, but the site adjusts for Daylight Savings.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

Michael Valentine Jones (1/19/2012)

Evil Kraig F (1/19/2012)

Under the Forum Settings, Date & Time Options, there is a check box for:

Observe Daylight Saving Time (If time appears an hour out, check or uncheck to suit)

I assume that for Arizona you would pick (GMT -7:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada) and leave Observe Daylight Saving Time unchecked.

• Daylight Savings Time was originally proposed as a joke.

The person who successfully lobbied for it to be adopted wanted more time in the summer between getting home from work and it getting dark, so he could collect butterflies after work. Spun it so it sounded valuable for more than chasing bugs, got it enacted into law.

Hawaii doesn't do it because daylight time summer vs winter doesn't vary enough for them to matter.

Arizona doesn't do it because it's a stupid idea anway and they didn't fall for the sales pitch on it.

And, yes, it should be cancelled. Should never have been enacted.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Michael Valentine Jones (1/19/2012)

Evil Kraig F (1/19/2012)

Michael Valentine Jones (1/19/2012)

Evil Kraig F (1/19/2012)

Under the Forum Settings, Date & Time Options, there is a check box for:

Observe Daylight Saving Time (If time appears an hour out, check or uncheck to suit)

I assume that for Arizona you would pick (GMT -7:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada) and leave Observe Daylight Saving Time unchecked.

I'll be making an appointment with my optometrist shortly... :blush:

Seriously though, I'd not seen that option before and I just had to adjust my time zone. Apparently I really pay a lot of attention to the 'time' of posts.

- Craig Farrell

• GSquared (1/19/2012)

AMEN BROTHER! PREACH ON! We shall start the anti-savings crusade together, and with our righteous hour hands, we shall CLEANSE this world of the HORRORS of this savagery to the concepts of time! Don your faces, grab your clocks, and let us bash our way through to Greenwich!

- Craig Farrell

• GSquared (1/19/2012)

Daylight Savings Time was originally proposed as a joke.

I agree with one small caveat. If we got rid of it we would have to decide on which adjustment is correct. Now we all know that the adjusted time is summer and I would propose that we stay with that one. I could care less about daylight in the morning, I would prefer to not see mornings anyway.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (1/19/2012)

GSquared (1/19/2012)

Daylight Savings Time was originally proposed as a joke.

I agree with one small caveat. If we got rid of it we would have to decide on which adjustment is correct. Now we all know that the adjusted time is summer and I would propose that we stay with that one. I could care less about daylight in the morning, I would prefer to not see mornings anyway.

I'd agree, but if it causes more than 2 min of debate, just pass a law, remove DST, and stick with either reference.

GSquared (1/19/2012)

AMEN BROTHER! PREACH ON! We shall start the anti-savings crusade together, and with our righteous hour hands, we shall CLEANSE this world of the HORRORS of this savagery to the concepts of time! Don your faces, grab your clocks, and let us bash our way through to Greenwich!

If you want my honest opinion on the thing, I should warn you I'm a bit radical on this.

I don't think we should just get rid of DST, I think we should get rid of time zones too, and just run on GMT.

Technically, that would mean I start work at 13:00 and end at 21:00, which sounds like I'd be getting home really, really late, but it isn't actually any different than my current schedule.

Businesses would be able to easily coordinate meetings without, "How many hours behind us is Arizona this month?" kind of issues. Lots of advantages.

It'll never happen. Too many people too entrenched in the current mess.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Daylight savings exists so that I can double the number of mornings that I drive east staring at the rising sun and the evenings that I drive west into the setting sun.

I spend a lot of time hating DST, while slapping my sun visor around, craning my neck, and squinting.

I like GSquared's idea. Just adjust the time to where you live!

• Stephanie Giovannini (1/20/2012)

Daylight savings exists so that I can double the number of mornings that I drive east staring at the rising sun and the evenings that I drive west into the setting sun.

I spend a lot of time hating DST, while slapping my sun visor around, craning my neck, and squinting.

I like GSquared's idea. Just adjust the time to where you live!

Sounds like my commute.

Another advantage to universal-time zoning: No need to reset a watch or whatever if you travel across time zones. And no "my plane takes off at 3PM, flies west for 2 hours, and lands at 10 AM" or whatever weirdness you get like that with the current system.

Property of The Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply