Date fun

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 6:33 AM

Considering the correct answer, my question would be, what are the Use Cases behind doing such a thing?

No idea. Someone actually asked the question though. Date from one date, time from another. My guess is some repeat scheduling thing.

• Luis Cazares - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 6:47 AM

sipas - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 6:13 AM

Luis Cazares - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:58 AM

sipas - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:51 AM

American dates are weird.

American dates?

UK dates are ddmmyyyy (or yyyymmdd) as opposed to mmddyyyy (or yyyyddmm).
    This makes it easy (for example) to sort dated files in order by using the file name if it has a yyyymmdd suffix.
    NB For the avoidance of doubt, it wasn't a serious comment, I'm sure everyone else thinks UK dates are weird.

Actually, UK and most of the world use dd/mm/yyyy, while the US uses mm/dd/yyyy. The format might change by using short names for the months or a different separator. The format used in the question is ISO yyyymmdd and should never be interpreted as something different.
    American dates are indeed the worst way to write a date, but there was no such example in the question.
    So yeah, people from the US don't know how to write dates properly and people from the UK don't drive on the right side of the road (pun intended).😀

I disagree... he DD/MM/YYYY format has EVERYTHING backwards!  The MM/DD/YYYY format only has the YYYY out of place. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• sipas - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:51 AM

American dates are weird.

Perhaps there's something weird in the fertiliser they use for their date-palms?  😛

Tom

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply