Databases in Azure… Where to begin? Create a Database and log in!

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Databases in Azure… Where to begin? Create a Database and log in!

• Thank you! for the post! I've been intending to start learning how to work in Azure, but wasn't real sure where to start, and have not had time to research much. So now I'll start with your post.

🙂

• I used your article to finally get started in Azure. Great write-up and very easy to follow.

A head's up regarding the IP configuration. I had to add our company's ISP IP address (I took the IP I was connected through and configured the range for that particular 255 addresses). I was able to do this because the error message was uncharacteristically user-friendly.

Now I am waiting on your next installment.

Thanks!

J Bennett

St. Louis, MO

• Glad you like it guys. The next will be back up and restore.

Thanks again

• Thanks for writing this, was able to start using sql azure because of this simple article.

• Very excellent coverage on navigating the portal for a database setup.

I find the portal to be unwieldy if when as more than just a few databases and their resources and I am basing this comparison upon what I have had in SSMS. I am still struggling to find a way to do something as simple as get a count of each database object (table, stored procedure, functions, et al) on multiple Azure SQL Databases. It looks like Powershell is it so if you haven't gotten up to speed on PS, you definitely need to do so.

• There is no Free Visual studio subscription. What are you talking about ?

• Senchi - Thursday, November 23, 2017 12:59 AM

There is no Free Visual studio subscription. What are you talking about ?

Visual Studio Dev Essentials[/url] you get Azure credits for free

• You dont get anything free.
    For the SQL databases you still need to pay like everyone else.

On the bottom, Azure is too expensive.
    If you have many user accessing your database then the cost can go in
    thousands of euros.
    You'd be better off buying and running your own server.

• anthony.green - Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:08 AM

Senchi - Thursday, November 23, 2017 12:59 AM

Not any longer - you get $200 for the first month then after that the only items for free or those with free tiers. There is no free tier of SQL Database PaaS.

• FridayNightGiant - Thursday, November 23, 2017 7:36 AM

anthony.green - Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:08 AM

Not any longer - you get $200 for the first month then after that the only items for free or those with free tiers. There is no free tier of SQL Database PaaS.

Actually that said - it looks like if you sign up directly for an Azure trial (requires a credit card) you can get 12 months free access to SQL Database PaaS

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-ca/pricing/details/sql-database/

• Senchi - Thursday, November 23, 2017 5:39 AM

You dont get anything free.
    For the SQL databases you still need to pay like everyone else.

On the bottom, Azure is too expensive.
    If you have many user accessing your database then the cost can go in
    thousands of euros.
    You'd be better off buying and running your own server.

Looking at the Azure portal you can still get 12 months of free access to SQL Database https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/sql-database/ unsure what level that comes in at, my guess would be basic, but unable to check as I already have an Azure subscription tied to my account and I've already surpassed the 12 month mark.

Yeah Azure can get expensive, it depends on the amount of DTU's or eDTU's you need, they have a calculator here[/url] where you can upload your metrics and they will suggest what grade database to go for.  But its like everything there is a tipping point, some purposes may be cheaper on premise, some in the cloud.  You have to factor in all the costs, electricity, cooling, licenses, network bandwidth, servers, storage, maintenance, man power, depreciation etc, everything has a cost and everything will have a break even point.  Then again you could say the same for AWS, Google Cloud, IBM, RackSpace, Node4 etc etc you need to find the balance between how much you want to manage vs how much you want the cloud provider to manage.

• FridayNightGiant - Thursday, November 23, 2017 7:39 AM

FridayNightGiant - Thursday, November 23, 2017 7:36 AM

anthony.green - Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:08 AM

Actually that said - it looks like if you sign up directly for an Azure trial (requires a credit card) you can get 12 months free access to SQL Database PaaS

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-ca/pricing/details/sql-database/

Free access mind you... nothing else. All that advertising charade is just a bluff.
    Bought a server + static IP under 100 bucks now I have my own cloud.
    Can access it anytime with very little fees.
    A simple database just for testing purposes...nothing big...in Azure costs me 5 euros a month.
    If you have more than one database multiply that by 5. I have 6 databases and just to test them
    would have me  pay 30 euros a month. A year that would be 360 euros ! Now imagine if I let those
    databases  for the users ?  I would end up paying 3600 euros.This is insanity.
    I think Azure should be free for databases up to 1GB a database. Just like they offer for the sql server express.
    With prices they have now only an idiot would  use Azure (or someone who cares hit about the money).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply