Database size issue.

• Hello All,

I have SQL Server 2008 Express edition installed on server. It has two database. One database (say "A" has database size around 10 GB) and other is around is around 7 GB.

I have already set file grow to unrestricted. I believe Express edition has limitation of 10 GB per database so now.

How do i increase the allocation of .MDF file?? I tried to reindex the table which are consuming maximum index space but it gave me error:

Msg: 1101, Level 17, State 1, Line 1

Could not allocate a new page for database 'A' because of insufficient disk space in file group primary.

I also tried to add new primary group file but it does not allow.

What is the possible solution to this? I heard even Enterprise edition also have 10 GB database restriction, is this correct? If yes, please suggest a solution.

• tushardave1983 - Monday, September 24, 2018 5:18 AM

Hello All,

I have SQL Server 2008 Express edition installed on server. It has two database. One database (say "A" has database size around 10 GB) and other is around is around 7 GB.

I have already set file grow to unrestricted. I believe Express edition has limitation of 10 GB per database so now.

How do i increase the allocation of .MDF file?? I tried to reindex the table which are consuming maximum index space but it gave me error:

Could not allocate a new page for database 'A' because of insufficient disk space in file group primary.

What is the possible solution to this? I heard even Enterprise edition also have 10 GB database restriction, is this correct? If yes, please suggest a solution.

The maximum size allowed on Express is 10gb so you won't be able to increase the allocation of the .mdf for database A as you are already at the limit. 
    Enterprise edition does not have database size limit.

Thanks

• Thanks for the quick response. Just to confirm, enterprise edition does not have any file size restriction correct?

• Northern Soul is correct, Enterprise does allow databases larger than 10GB (actually 524PB, I looked recently.)

But, first you should also look into whether you even need to go to Enterprise edition, or if Standard edition will suffice for your needs (and also supports up to a 524PB database size) as Enterprise is quite expensive to license.

Considering you're currently using Express, I'd be willing to bet Standard would fill all of your needs.

• jasona.work - Monday, September 24, 2018 5:43 AM

Northern Soul is correct, Enterprise does allow databases larger than 10GB (actually 524PB, I looked recently.)

But, first you should also look into whether you even need to go to Enterprise edition, or if Standard edition will suffice for your needs (and also supports up to a 524PB database size) as Enterprise is quite expensive to license.

Considering you're currently using Express, I'd be willing to bet Standard would fill all of your needs.

thank you. will certainly consider standard before going for enterprise version.

• NorthernSoul - Monday, September 24, 2018 5:36 AM

tushardave1983 - Monday, September 24, 2018 5:18 AM

Hello All,

The maximum size allowed on Express is 10gb so you won't be able to increase the allocation of the .mdf for database A as you are already at the limit. 
    Enterprise edition does not have database size limit.

Thanks

thank you very much

• Take in consideration that the Express limit is per database - you can have 100 databases all with 10 GB each.

Depending on your application you may be able to split the tables onto multiple DB's and reference them from a primary database through synonyms.
    Just as an alternative to upgrade edition.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply