Database permissions

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Database permissions

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • Nice one, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Not a big fan of questions involving deprecated features, that never seem to go away.

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• Ford Fairlane (10/3/2013)

Not a big fan of questions involving deprecated features, that never seem to go away.

+1

• Nice and easy, thanks for the question!

• Putting this in the category "ALTER ROLE" was a bit of a giveaway!

• Nice question.

I find it quite surprising that 58% of answers so far were wrong; and even more surprising that nearly half of the wrong answers were not sp_addrolemember but one of the other two options.

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (10/3/2013)

Nice question.

I find it quite surprising that 58% of answers so far were wrong; and even more surprising that nearly half of the wrong answers were not sp_addrolemember but one of the other two options.

This has the characteristics of wild guesses 🙂 Apparently people didn't work with this using T-SQL.

For me it is interesting to see that till version 10.5 you could only rename a role by using the ALTER ROLE statement.

Only beginning with 11 you can also ADD or DROP database principals. Just tried it out on 9.0 and 10.0.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Good one, thanks!

• Toreador (10/3/2013)

Putting this in the category "ALTER ROLE" was a bit of a giveaway!

Plus, now we have to deal with category inflation! 😉 When you click on the category, you find that this is the only question in the category.

This reminds me of the wrestle I have with my coworkers over keeping shared file directories tidy. There is a frequent tendency to keep adding new directories, or even worse, dropping files in the top-level directory. They don't see how this clutter makes it hard to find stuff. When I mention that that could make a cursory scan of the existing files and see if one is appropriate, they respond that they can always do a "search" in Explorer to find it. (However, since they use the same random number generator to create file names, they can't find their own files by name!) Kind of like excusing yourself from adding an index to a table, because you know you can always do a table scan. Ugh!

(BTW, I note that there are currently question categories for "Log Shipping" and "LogShipping". :w00t:)

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Well, the category was 'ALTER ROLE'.

Bit of a give away...

• Good question, thanks.

Everything is awesome!

• L' Eomot Inversé (10/3/2013)

Nice question.

I threw out a red herring with the Oracle syntax (GRANT <database role> to <database user>), could account for some of those numbers 🙂

Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • SQLDCH (10/3/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (10/3/2013)

Nice question.

I threw out a red herring with the Oracle syntax (GRANT <database role> to <database user>), could account for some of those numbers 🙂

Ah, that was a clever move, and might well account for more than half of them (60% of the wrong answers that were not the deprecated sp were that one). I like that sort of red herring. Maybe I should have noticed it, but I didn't - I've forgotten all I used to know about Oracle (except that it's both very expensive and rather difficult to manage).

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply