Database Locks

• Hi Gail

Thanks a lot for the reply, i have made some changes and it dint work on Stored procedure, but when i made the same job as a T-SQL statement there was no locking issues, its sorted out now,

I am still wondering why it creates a locking issues when i run a job with Stored procedure and no issues were found when i do the same with T-SQL

Thanks a lot once again for all for helping me to solve this issue

Cheers

Suji

• Hi,

Read Commited is the default isolation of the database.

can you Identify all the rows and update tem in small chuncks so that the locks will not be at the table level but at the page level?

Cheers,
    Prithiviraj Kulasingham

Plan to Test your Plan!

• I have had situations where I had to compare one table with the same table remotely to do updates. The only way I could do this without causing serious locking issues was to download the table localy first. Cut the time I was locking the table by a factor of 1000. Cut it by another factor of 100 by making sure indexes where optimized.

• GilaMonster (2/13/2008)

What does the update statement do?

Can it be optimised to take less time? Can the indexes be tweaked so that it doesn't have to lock the entire table?

Gail what do you mean by tweaking the indexes?

• 1) the first reponse to this type of question is we need to see the code and table scripts.

2) how many rows are being updated by the code?

3) is indexing appropriate? I am betting not

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Ignacio A. Salom Rangel (3/30/2008)

GilaMonster (2/13/2008)

What does the update statement do?

Can it be optimised to take less time? Can the indexes be tweaked so that it doesn't have to lock the entire table?

Gail what do you mean by tweaking the indexes?

Add or remove columns to indexes, add new indexes, change the order of columns within the index.

Basically anything to make SQL use the index better.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for the tip!

• Hi

How many types of LOCKS in sql server 2005 and which is default lock?

Thanks & Regards

G Arunagiri

• This is WAYYYY to open-ended a question. See here in BOL: ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/udb9/html/5530f484-5bc4-467c-ae50-d708dafb24d0.htm for the starting topic on SQL Server locking. There also is no default type of lock. Locks are taking by the engine depending on a very large number of items/settings.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply