Database in Recovery pending

• Has anyone has seen below error message? I have resolved the issue, no recovery pending state or log space issue or tempdb issue, but trying to understand is this has anything to do with sql server? Looks to me related to storage,I/O or Network issue. Any thoughts?

SQLServerLogMgr::LogWriter: Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.) encountered.

spid60   Error: 9001, Severity: 21, State: 4.

The log for database is not available. Check the event log for related error messages. Resolve any errors and restart the database.

spid4s   SQLServerLogMgr::LogWriter: Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.) encountered.

• Looks to me that either your database log file has somehow been deleted or your database no longer have access to it... which wouldnt make any sense.. If I remember correctly the database will remake the log file if you bounce it though.

• So how did you fix the issue?  And when did the issue occur?  After a restart or what?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Usually it's storage related but what did you do to resolve the issue?

Sue

• Thanks! I was able to solve this by taking database offline then immediately bringing it back online.

• Did you check the Windows event logs when it happened? Most likely you can find some things in those logs.

Sue

• Admingod wrote:

Thanks! I was able to solve this by taking database offline then immediately bringing it back online.

This sounds like the storage (SAN/mountpoint?) where the LOG file was located was not yet completely mounted/online when the SQL service started. If this happens more often after a restart, you could set the startup type of the SQL server service to "delayed start".

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • HanShi wrote:

Admingod wrote:

Thanks! I was able to solve this by taking database offline then immediately bringing it back online.

This sounds like the storage (SAN/mountpoint?) where the LOG file was located was not yet completely mounted/online when the SQL service started. If this happens more often after a restart, you could set the startup type of the SQL server service to "delayed start".

HanShi wrote:

Admingod wrote:

My thoughts, exactly.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks to everyone!

• Storage team did not find any issues on their end. Not sure if they are properly looking at their end. If not, do you think it could be a network issue? SQL Server was never restarted when this issue happened, however, the window log shows connection to the target was lost.

• I really doubt it would be a network issue unless your log file is for some reason stored on another server?

• No, not the network. The connection was briefly lost for some reason so you would look at everything from the server to the SAN. And that's not just the SAN and the server - there are components in between. HBA, switch, fabric, cables, etc. Take a look at this article - the beginning pages have some images of how that looks which should give you an idea.

SAN Conceptual and Design Basics

Sue

• Do you have any security software doing on access scanning? If SQL db files are not excluded I could see this type of issue popping up, especially after a system restart.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply