Database files

• I am currently developing a database system on a test machine. I have had a corrupted windows installation on the machine. Is there any way to move the files to a new machine, without having to old one working? I have the files, as the problem doesn't affect them. I just don't want to have to recreate the data again.

• You need either the .bak or both the MDF and the LDF the later to attache and the former to restore.

Follow these instructions put the .bak in the location below.

(1) Put .bak in Microsoft SQL Server  Backup subfolder

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP

(2) Go back to Management Studio in the database section right click all tasks the backup in the wizard choose restore from device option.  Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• If your one computer (the one you wish to move the databases from) is 'corrupt', depending on the corruption you have a few options. First I'd try to perform a Windows 'repair', this way you could get the computer to boot up and then establish network connectivity at whish point you could then copy the relevant files off to a stable working computer. Another option is to use a Winternals type tool to mount the bad disk to another working computer. This option only works if the 'corrupt' computer will boot and gain network connectivity. Another choice is to remopve the physical disk(s) from the corrupt computer and mount them temporarily in a working computer in order to see if the file systems are intact. If they are, then you can copy files off and you're back in business. The last resort is a media redovery company.

I have used all of these options sucessfully in the past. There ghave even been a few occasions where they have not worked - this was due to plain old disk failure.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Thanks!

• ... no problemo ... let me know what your results are and which path you took ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Well, the old system wasn't able to restore (was the first thing I tried). But the SQL files were untouched, so I restored the backup (lost a few records, but the tables themselves were fine).

I already had made a copy of the disk's contents to my main pc's HDD.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply