Database Design Help!!!

• I'm looking for anyone willing to help me critique my database design that will used for a small group of sales people in my area. This will be a web app and the hope is to get some sound advice for how I should implement row level security as well as over all design soundness. I'm am using Erwin 4.1 so if you have Erwin I can send you the ER diagram or I can export it to Visio if need be. If there is anyone willing to help please e-mail me at: demico.quinn@comcast.net

Thanks Demico Q.

• This is a very good and knowledgable community. However for the best results I'd suggest that you get hold of a contractor for a short term assignment for this task (I think comcast can afford it).

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Thanks, but this isn't a Comcast project nor do I work for Comcast. I'm confident that there are people out there like myself who have helped others in the past without asking for money. This is why I'm a member and a participant. Again thank you for your comments.

• How many tables?

-Isaiah

• I've been biting my tongue trying not to reply to this thread but I can't help it...

What color database?

(If you're familiar with Dilbert)

Seriously, to make up for that comment:

Most of the really experienced people are not going to reply to your request for help because even in the simplest of cases the answers all depend.

I was hired a few years back by a dotcom to review the datamodel of their new database application.  They showed me an ER diagram and asked, "well? how do we make it better(faster/etc.)?"

My answer was, "tell me what it's supposed to do." (Show me the spec for your entire application.)  They had a hard time understanding why I needed that.  Filled with really clever C, C++, Java, web, etc. developers they didn't understand why I needed to look at anything else.

Here's the short answer: it all depends. 

There are sometimes good reasons to do normally considered bad things and vise versa.

So, the people that really know what they're doing are not likely to offer help because 1) they need to know the entire scope, and 2) any little suggestion they make may have a two week explanation for why.

• There are a number of good books and training courses available.

I can recommend SANS  ( http://www.sans.org ) as a good place to find security - database design and security are sort of two different areas - I suggest you contact Erwin to see if they offer courses in data modelling.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply