Database Design for Online Examination System

• hi all,

Please help me out to design the database for online examination system.

• what help are you expecting...? Complete design?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.
    You can check my BLOG
    [font="Arial Black"]here[/font][/url][/right]

• Yes.

• That sure sounds like homework.

Generally, for homework type questions, most of us ask that you post what you've tried to do and where you're having problems. That way we're helping you to learn, not simply doing your homework for you.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• vasaharshit (7/11/2008)

hi all,

You will need to provide much more information than this. What type of examination system? Online SQL Server exams? Online driving exams? Patients? Meteorite samples? Animals? Eyes? What capabilities do you want it to have?

A full and complete explanation of what you expect the system to do comes a long way before designing the database.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Yes.

:blink:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks a lot for all your replies!!!!

SSCrazy,

Its not something that i am letting you people to do my homework. The aim was to utilize you all experts' experience.

Old Hand,

I am working on different modules and monday i will surely let u know the brief explaination.

• If I do the entire design from scratch, how much of the fee do I get?

Seriously though. We're here because we enjoy the technical challenges and each others company. Ask a question and you'll get answer. Ask us to do ALL your work for you... Sorry, that's a bit much.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

hi all,

Let's start with the assumption that this isn't a school assignment, but rather that you are seeking expert-level consulting services for free.

The type of help that can be offered is going to be dependent upon the timeframe for your deliverable.

Here's my advice: If you can afford the time, obtain an education in data management fundamentals. Through the proper application of self-study and guided coursework (hopefully you have access to a quality higher education institute), you should be competent to perform basic design activities on your own within about a year. But you can expect to make some fundamental errors in your first couple attempts, so add another year or two to get some experience under your belt. After this (assuming you are able to diligently study and apply the principles), you should be ready to embark on the design of your system. Do you have a 3+ year timeline to work with?

If not, I'm afraid the bad news is that you will simply need to commission the services of an experienced practicioner (i.e., hire a consultant through a reputable firm).

Or, you could actually show that you've done some thinking on the problem and solicit opinions on the alternatives you're considering, being sure to enumerate the various design criteria that constrain your choices.

HTH,

TroyK

• TroyK ,

Thanks a lot for your kind reply!!!

Ok now just tell me that, Is it possible to create the whole database design at a first time itself? I mean without starting application development...

Another thing by the term "database design" i feel its to create the data storage in terms of tables, creating access layers in terms of views stored procedures, and developing relation between these different objects. - Am i correct ? Please something if u feel.

Regards,

Harshit

• Yes, it is possible for the most part to build the data structure, tables, primary keys, foreign keys, and clustered indexes without having an application. Writing all the views and stored procedures, etc., is quite a bit more difficult without knowing the how's, why's and wherefore's of the application itself. Then you have to look at tuning, adding additional indexes, flattening structures, modifying stored procedures, etcl, all this occurs in an organic fashion as the application is developed. An entire database, including every possible object, without any hint of an application... no, that's pretty unlikely.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• You might find a data model here that you can use or adapt to your needs:

http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/

• vasaharshit (7/16/2008)

TroyK ,

Thanks a lot for your kind reply!!!

Ok now just tell me that, Is it possible to create the whole database design at a first time itself? I mean without starting application development...

First, let's make a distinction between "design" and "implementation". I'll call "design" the act of translating a conceptual model of some enterprise into a logical model. Being a SQL Server website, we assume that we will apply the relational model of data to perform this translation. There are multiple possible "correct" logical models for a given conceptual model.

Implementation, then, is the act of realizing that logical model in some specific DBMS. Again, we can assume SQL Server. And again, there are multiple possible "correct" physical models that implement a given logical model.

The initial application you intend may inform some of the design decisions that go into the conceptual-to-logical translation, but my experience is that a high-quality logical model can be produced absent this consideration. In fact, some would argue that introducing application bias at this level is likely to lead to suboptimal design choices, and I can't disagree.

But when implementing the physical manifestation of the logical design, you are much more likely to find yourself relying on the intended application to guide your decisions on physical implementation details. This is where knowing how the data will be used (access patterns, reports, etc.) will inform implementation decisions such as indexing, physical filegroups, etc.

Another thing by the term "database design" i feel its to create the data storage in terms of tables, creating access layers in terms of views stored procedures, and developing relation between these different objects. - Am i correct ? Please something if u feel.

see above. Also, shameless plug: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Data+Modeling/61817/

Regards,

Harshit

You may have gathered from my first post that I try to refrain from giving specific design advice. I would much rather try and point someone in a direction where they can learn the underlying principles, and then apply them. You've probably heard the saying (roughly): "Give a person a fish and they will eat for a day. Teach a person to fish and they will eat the rest of their life."

Take care,

TroyK

• Hi friends,This is Chaithanya.

I have some doubt's in preparation of Online Exam database.My first doubt is I have an Essay question worth of marks 15,now in that question itself I i thought of giving two questions say(Qa,Qb).

Qa(question a) Alloted 5 marks ,Question b alloted 10 marks how to design these things in database

Thanks in Advance,Expecting your Reply

• gochaithu (7/29/2009)

Hi friends,This is Chaithanya.

I have some doubt's in preparation of Online Exam database.My first doubt is I have an Essay question worth of marks 15,now in that question itself I i thought of giving two questions say(Qa,Qb).

Qa(question a) Alloted 5 marks ,Question b alloted 10 marks how to design these things in database

Thanks in Advance,Expecting your Reply

When you have a new question like this, it's always best to start a whole new conversation. That way a lot more people will see it. Posting at the end of a conversation such as you did, the only people likely to be aware of your new question are the people who took part in this original conversation.

Please, ask the question again in the wider forum.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply