Database Collation

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Database Collation

• Nothing like an easy question to start the week.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thanks Jason!

Yes, it is an easy question but as you know sometimes we opt to change case sensitivity and our codes become difficult to manage, so the point is nothing but to remind that something not right if you don't care about the proper casing.

Regards,

Sudhir

• Good easy question.

I got it wrong because I am not case-sensitive when scanning SQL :blush::laugh:

Tom

• 45% incorrect answers would imply that it wasn't an easy question! Well done to those who knew the correct answer or, like me, guessed there would be a catch somewhere.

• @richard-2 Warr:

45% incorrect answers would imply that it wasn't an easy question! Well done to those who knew the correct answer or, like me, guessed there would be a catch somewhere.

Yes, I am surprised too. As the title -"Database Collation" itself is a big hint.

• I was lucky that I'd had a similar problem querying sys.partitions recently, and received an error due to the collation of the database (I had used a capital 'P' for partitions)

• good question!

[font="Times New Roman"]rfr.ferrari[/font]
    DBA - SQL Server 2008
    MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
    the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!
  • I did not knew it is case sensitive.

Thank you for the question,

Iulian

• Thanks for the question.

BTW, can anyone else see a question for October 14, 2011 in their list of "previous" questions?

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Thomas Abraham (9/12/2011)

Thanks for the question.

BTW, can anyone else see a question for October 14, 2011 in their list of "previous" questions?

Yes - I can see it too!

• paul s-306273 (9/12/2011)

Thomas Abraham (9/12/2011)

Yes - I can see it too!

If he's going to put up questions a month in advance, the least Steve could do is make the query return that day's winning lottery numbers! :hehe:

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Nice question, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I got it right but for the wrong reason. The reason specified was for case sensitivity but I thought of other reasons it wouldn't run. The question said "always" but it wouldn't run under these situations either:

* Network issue

* Hard drive failure

* Failure to connect to the database

* Server being restored from backup at the time

There are many reasons it wouldn't run but once I thought of a single one, it made the statement false.

• paul s-306273 (9/12/2011)

Thomas Abraham (9/12/2011)

Thanks for the question.

Yes - I can see it too!

You both have experienced a "Flash Forward"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply