Database Architect..Need help

• I am new to Database Architect.. I got a new project where I need to come up with the design and architect of the database.. They told me little bit about the Application for whom I need to design a database but I didn’t got any idea what to do….

Please help and advice….What should I do and from where should I start…

Thanks...Ar

• ??

A requirements document and a functional specification would be my first step.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• There are no such a document... Just they told me the way application will work..

• Atleast they should come up with some screens which they are going to develop. If that is also not there, you might required to chase Business Analysts and Developers to get to know what they are going to develop. Based on that you may design the tables as well as other objects.

Regards,

Shaiju CK

• then you'll have to slow down, take a deep breath, and start identifying the objects/data they need to capture. call another meeting for exactly that: ask those who know the data what data values they will be capturing.

you probably have a vague idea of a handful of the items they identified so far, start putting together a skeleton of tables and the handful of known columns.

If you are in over your head, ask questions from them.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks All...

• Arman Khan (3/31/2011)

There are no such a document... Just they told me the way application will work..

Then you must create them. To start writing (i.e. hacking) code and designing databases without any documentation as to requirements is a recipe for a poor end result at best and failure at worst.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• Are you replacing a process that is based on paper forms? If so, collect examples of all the existing forms.

• Arman Khan (3/31/2011)

There are no such a document... Just they told me the way application will work..

So write one! You can't "correct" a blank piece of paper. It's the job of a Database Architect to convert written and/or oral "wish lists" into a design.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply