data transferring from main server to stand by

• Dear All,

My problem is regarding replication.We are handling one online database with sql server 2000 standard edition. Now we take two backups daily one in the morning and other one in the night this provides no data avaliablity if the system crashes in the middle of the day will loos the data for the day.now we are planning to buy one stand by server where we can configure replication or log shipping but sql server 2000 standered does not  support either replication or Log shipping.But our company does not ready to buy the sql server 2000 enterprise edition .Please any one can help me how will i configure the stand by server which will get every transaction of the main server if the main server crashes

Regards

Anoop

• Hello,

You could always look at a third party tool like LiteSpeed (from Quest Software) or something similar, this tool will allow you to set up log shipping without having to upgrade your SQL Server (it is a much cheaper option than upgrading to enterprise edition).

Good Luck!!!

Bob

• Hi,

You could setup Copy/Restore. After one of your nightly backups is done>sql job copies the DB to another server's shared drive>the other server restores the DB to that server.

See ya,

LL

• H!!!,

what's the size of your datafile?? IF it's more that 20gb u can think of logshipping by using Enterprise Edition of SQL Server 2000 but if the size of your DB is below 10 gb the backup statergy which you are following is more than sufficient !! in case of disaster make use of point in time recovery ..moreover as you had mentioned Replication is  not a solution for standby database!!

Revert for further clarifications !!!

Vinod S.R(DBA)

HTC GLOBAL SERVICES

• Hiii

Thank u for your reply. The size of the database is below 1gb.My organization is an entertainment industry (Multiplex).we used to sell tickets for cinemas.Suppose the show is at 3:30pm and server crashed at 3:00pm but the backup avaliable is of yesterday night's,we will loose all our data for that movie that is sold from morning to 3:00pm. So we need something, that will provide the last transaction has made in the main server should be copied or send or replicated to the secondary server.I think you have understood  what is my actual requirement please give the appropriate solution for my problem

Regards

Anoop

• Hi,

As this time ur datafile size is 3 GB so u can go for 3 or 4 times backup a day.

or u can do one more things

create a standby server copy the most resently backup and create a DTS package .

to tranfer data from main  server to standby server.

schedule this in a job and schedue the job every 10 mins.

HTH

from

Killer

• H!!,

Mr.Killer had suggested the most appropriate solution ..but you should be very comfortable in taking the right decission to recover the database in case of a failure ..

Regards,

Vinod (DBA)

+91 0940856202

• Hi ,

Thanks you for valuable points but as i am a very new in this field plese can you give some more assistance like how to do the steps

Plese can you tell me that am i doing the right thing, what is my plan is i will take one full backup and every one minut i will take differential backup (in one day our data will grow maximum of 5mb that is too in a rush day other wise maximum of 3mb)and copy that to the standby server.but i just want to know that am i doing right

As i told you that my organization is not ready to loss a single data. the actual size of our database is around nearly 1gb so please can you give some ideas and how to implement those

Regards

Anoop

• Dear Anoop,

How many tables do u have in ur database and which table has the higest row count.

from

Killer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply