Data Science Education

• I find this somewhat sudden interest in statistics interesting. I got my degree in mathematics, so naturally I took some statistics classes. For most of my life having taken math was just somewhat tolerated in social situations. If you mentioned statistics, eyes glazed over. Now, apparently, its the "In thing". Funny, just funny.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Step one would be to learn how to return the bloody current date and time using T-SQL. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (9/16/2016)

Step one would be to learn how to return the bloody current date and time using T-SQL. 😉

Maybe some of us would have paid attention if you mentioned this before.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (9/17/2016)

Jeff Moden (9/16/2016)

Step one would be to learn how to return the bloody current date and time using T-SQL. 😉

Can't tell if you're being a bit ironic or not, Gary.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (9/17/2016)

Gary Varga (9/17/2016)

Jeff Moden (9/16/2016)

Can't tell if you're being a bit ironic or not, Gary.

I was. But deadpanned it. :hehe:

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Rod at work (9/16/2016)

I find this somewhat sudden interest in statistics interesting. I got my degree in mathematics, so naturally I took some statistics classes. For most of my life having taken math was just somewhat tolerated in social situations. If you mentioned statistics, eyes glazed over. Now, apparently, its the "In thing". Funny, just funny.

It is kind of sad. Where I live, it seems the teachers in grade school can barely do basic math. Ask them to explain things so kids can make a leap in understanding is impossible because they never made that leap. The university I went to refused to offer classes that we needed for a math minor because "nobody is interested".

Examples: Not teaching how to divide or multiply by 10 by moving the decimal point, explaining how to determine if a number is divisible by 3 or 9, and other very simply rules.

How can we expect the future generations to be scientists of any kind when we dumb down the curriculum in order to make every child feel good.

Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply