Data-driven Prototypes

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Data-driven Prototypes

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• Yup, been there.  The other approach I learned from the experience is to make the data as fictional as possible, so that it's blindingly obvious that things coming up on the screen are not related to the reality of a finished product.  Leavening with a bit of humor by using funny names and ridiculous numbers can often let me skate over the lack of realism in the prototype and focus my client on the mechanics instead.

Same principle as UI designers making wireframes from hand-drawn boxes and circles instead of beautiful crisp graphics, so that they're not mistaken for a finished product.

• Phil Factor - Friday, January 12, 2018 7:28 PM

Comments posted to this topic are about the item Data-driven Prototypes

Forum Newbie took the exact words out right of my keyboard.  Been there, done that, many times.  I make test data paradoxically funny - it subconsciously convinces them that this is TEST data in a PROTOTYPE and makes the presentation fun.

For example, take the spelling of the word vender, or vendor if you prefer.  People are madly passionate about the spelling of this word.  Often times, customers leave remembering little about the topic, but everything about the proper spelling and etymology of this word. An worse, they think your system is stupid because it can't even spell this word 'properly.'  Argh. I have no fix for this specific, and reoccurring issue.

• It's definitely hard to convince end users that you are rolling out a prototype and not the real deal Holyfield.  But some empathy can go a long way.  Meaning, if the end-user points out that the system is completely wrong because the test data isn't correct, it might soothe the audience to respond with a "ahh, good catch! Yes, I am definintely aware that X can't happen after Y, but I'm glad you noticed that.  I'll be sure to pass the next version by you first since you know the business so well."

• It is a slight devil / deep blue sea scenario. As you say too convincing they want it now, unrooted in reality and the customer is wont to bicker about the incorrect details.

• Almost as horrifying but just as funny, I did not personally witness but a co-worker did, a demo some developers where giving to our business people where a request was made during the presentation so one of the developers opened up the demo's code and started making changes right there in the middle of the meeting.  My co-worker tried hard not to facepalm watching this happen and seeing the reaction on the business people's faces.

• Being able to effectively manage the expectations of your audience can be jet fuel for your career. Doing so at the outset and with the fewest assumptions possible is a good start IMO. I've noticed that when I go to the doctor's office now or the hospital they ask me if I know why I'm there and what is supposed to be happening to me. Wish they had figured that one out a long time ago. Seems like common sense doesn't it? Asking a general question of the audience like "Who knows what we are doing here today?" or "Who is familiar with the prototyping process?" is better than immediately diving into a rote presentation, no matter how good it is.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply