Custom SSMS

• I just turn on the line numbers and change some of the coloring, the 'track changes before saving' the default I think is a light yellow, very hard to read, I turn that to red. Could be a few other I set, but I don't remember them at this moment. I set the object explorer slide to the left side and the registered servers slide to the right.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• While you can go through the keyboard commands to change the current active connection for the query window (Alt, Q, C, H) it is set by default to also be linked to Alt + H... Unfortunately, this conflicts with the Help Menu shortcut.

There was a workaround in the connect item linked below that talks about how to change it to Alt + G instead, so that you can open the dialog box with less key clicks.

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/699152/add-change-connections-keyboard-shortcut-to-ssms-2005-2008-2008r2-as-a-default

I set it a while back and love it.

• MMgrid by Mister.Magoo is my only add-in. What a time saver.

When I first started using SSMS (after years of Toad and Oracle tools) I hated it. After 7 years of SSMS, I recently when back to Oracle (Toad (old version admittedly)). I miss SSMS. :w00t:

<><
    Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.

• martinsumner (1/23/2015)

One trick I find extremely useful is to set up a query short cut with "Select Top 1000 * From".

Then when I'm investigating a complex query I can simply highlight an individual table name from that query (optionally including database name/schema name), hit Ctrl+4 and I get an instant sample of the data from that table.

This can be set up via Tools\Options\Environment\Keyboard\Query Shortcuts in SSMS.

I don't use that shortcut, but I have had others set up that way in the past. It can be very helpful.

Dave

• A few changes and tools, but the indispensable one I'd recommend to almost everybody: make Ctrl+F1 sp_helptext. (Tools > Customize, "Keyboard")

I appreciate this thread because I knew about and use some of the tools here, but SSMS Boost is new to me; I'll have to check it out.

• A few changes and tools, but the indispensable one I'd recommend to almost everybody: make Ctrl+F1 sp_helptext. (Tools > Customize, "Keyboard")

I appreciate this thread because I knew about and use some of the tools here, but SSMS Boost is new to me; I'll have to check it out.

• I'm pretty much the opposite, I try to keep my SSMS in original condition and often do query editting in notepad++.

• I add line numbers, turn the default background to a darker color like gray, then add in the great free ApexSQL tools

• DB_Newbie2007 (1/23/2015)

Besides RedGate's SQL Prompt, we use AutoHotKey to automate certain key sequences.

What's the hotkey and definition here?

• I add line numbers, and I check the "Include column headers when copying or saving the results" option under options--> query results --> sql server. I also register servers and color code the servers and I install Red Gate's SQL Search.

• I'm a fan of adding external tools

Tools > External Tools...

and adding things like

cmd prompt

PowerShell ISE

IE

Excel

Notepad

That way I can just go to the Tools Menu to access them.

• I like to limit the information displayed on the tab to just the filename:

Go to Tools > Options > Text Editor > Editor Tab and Status Bar > Tab Text section, then set every option to False except "Include file name"

This makes the tabs shorter, allowing for more than 4 tabs to be displayed and helps to know what's on each tab if the corresponding .sql file has been saved.

• I make sure the SET TEXTSIZE in the Query Execution option is as big as possible. When I return results I want to see all the data from a column.

• tlockwood (1/23/2015)

I like to limit the information displayed on the tab to just the filename:

Go to Tools > Options > Text Editor > Editor Tab and Status Bar > Tab Text section, then set every option to False except "Include file name"

This makes the tabs shorter, allowing for more than 4 tabs to be displayed and helps to know what's on each tab if the corresponding .sql file has been saved.

Thanks for this tip - I have just changed mine. Easily pleased me - and I just shown a couple of pals already.

• Generally I do not customise due to rarely having control of the desktop and/or VMs I use at clients' sites. 3rd party plugins are usually disallowed too.

The following I tend to do though:

SSMS:

• Server registration groups colour coded...and yes I do use red for production like everyone else 🙂

Visual Studio:

• Theme changed to the dark one.
    • [CTRL][SHIFT]R reassigned to Rebuild All.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply