Cursors Without Performance Penalties

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Cursors Without Performance Penalties

• Whew!!! Nice one, Steve!! You had me going there!  I was thinking that I should plan on retiring sooner than I really wanted because even the cursors in Oracle are still slower than good, solid, set-based code.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• 🙂

• You got me. Nice one

• Don't get too comfortable Jeff.  SQL Server on Linux was also a Steve Jones classic April Fool

• David.Poole wrote:

Don't get too comfortable Jeff.  SQL Server on Linux was also a Steve Jones classic April Fool

?? I just logged into post the same thing on this.

[UPDATE] Seems SQL Server Central doesn't support unicode, a smiley face emoji comes out as ??

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  peter.row. Reason: No unicode support
  • HAHAHA, you totally got me. I clicked the link. (sigh)

• Good one!!! You had me right up until "we'll start to see lots of new refactored code " BWAAA HAHAHA!!!

• Man, Steve, you got me. HAHAHA! I loved it.

Rod

• Good one. But sometimes I wish there was a better row by row method available for those few times when there appears to be no other option.

Luther

• Any candidate who fails to get the joke doesn't get a 2nd interview. 🙂

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I had forgotten what day it is.

• Glad you enjoyed it. Trying to come up with something to "get" you is always a fun challenge.

• You got me too but it would be a good idea to make it act more like PL/SQL I see a few Oracle applications are migrating to MS SQL and it would make things easier.

• The link in the whitepaper seems to be broken :(.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Mr. Brian Gale. Reason: fixing mistake (article vs whitepaper)

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply