cursor error msg

• I'm new to sql server, and I've been searching thru discussions on this site regarding cursors. I'm having one problem in particular, I can run a query in my development environment, but when I put that query in a cursor, then run the script, I get an error message:

OutputQry: Cursor not returned from query

The much abbreviated code is:

BEGIN

Declare @v_case_nbrvarchar( 20)

Declare @v_case_idchar( 20 )

Declare @ProcErrint

err_messchar( 40 )

DECLARE get_cases CURSOR LOCAL for

SELECT rc.case_id

from dbo.REAL_CASE rc

-- Begin Main procedure --

BEGIN

Open get_cases

WHILE ( 0 = 0) Begin

Fetch Next

Into @v_case_id

From get_cases

END

deallocate get_cases

END

I should mention my development environment is a product called "DB_designer", connected to a SQLExpress 2005 instance running on a desktop PC w/Win2k SP4 w/ 225,000 KB RAM

I'm wondering if this is a resource issue, or am I overlooking something really elementary?

Thanks

• It doesn't appear that the cursor ever stops, so you're running off the end of the result set.

Try

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

instead of the 0=0 condition.

0 indicates a successful fetch, anything else should leave the loop.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• David, thank you, but I got the same result when I made that change:

BEGIN

Open get_cases

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0 Begin

Fetch Next

From get_cases

Into @v_case_id

END

deallocate get_cases

END

• -- Begin Main procedure --

BEGIN

Open get_cases

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0 Begin

Fetch Next

From get_cases

Into @v_case_id

END

CLOSE get_cases

deallocate get_cases

END

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• I would say if at possible try to avoid cursors. Think if you can change query so that it can be direct SQL instead of cursor

thanks,

Ramesh.

• Since you say your code is "much abbreviated", it's difficult to see where the error could be...here's the syntax that "should" work...

BEGIN
    OPEN get_cases
    FETCH NEXT FROM get_cases INTO @v_case_id

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0 
    BEGIN
    ....process.....
    FETCH NEXT FROM get_cases INTO @v_case_id
    END

CLOSE get_cases 
    DEALLOCATE get_cases
    END 

Also, you say you're new to SQL Server so it may just be in your best interest to post the whole code so the wise folks here could come up with a cursorless solution (if possible)..

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Ahh, I think I'm seeing a pattern here; I get this error msg for other things having nothing to do with a cursor in my script.... so it's talking about the query cursor sql server returns... I get this kind of message when I have a space in front of some stmnts- hence the 'go' verb, right?

Still can't get the query to work, getting rid of spaces, but I'm learning some of the quirks ;>), thanks all for your responses!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply