Current known issues with SQL Server 2005 & Access 2000/2003

• Does anyone have any bug reports or white papers of known issues in using Access as a front end to SQL 2005 DB's?

Many thanks in advance!

• In true consultant form - I'll answer a question with several questions:

• Are you looking for a specific "known issues" or are you asking for background info purposes?
    • Are you using a .MDB ("local Access") file or a .ADP (Access data project) file in access?  Vastly different dynamics, and each having their own pitfalls.

if using an MDB - this is a good place to start reading http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb208890.aspx.  The linked document keep going into the various differences between Access and "native" SQL.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

•  

Have a look at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb188204.aspx 

Microsoft SQL Server 9.0 Technical Articles
    Optimizing Microsoft Office Access Applications Linked to SQL Server

This goes into quite a bit of detail about the changes in SQL 2005.

Basically, I haven't noticed any major gotchas with changing over.

• Thank you both, and my apologies for the vaguely stated OP.

We use Access as the front end currently to our product's DBMS files (which right now are either Oracle or Sybase, and most always we end up converting the Oracle DB to Sybase before we start editing it).

We are now preparing to go fully SQL Server 2005 as the sole DBMS for our product, and I was wanting to see if there were going to be any known issues in working with it as a front end (Semiphoric locking, locking of the DB file to where you cannot view an edit the moment you change something, etc...).

I appreciate the links, and will start there.

• I have been working with Microsoft Access (1.0) with SQL Server as a back-end for quite some time.

I have encountered multiple problems with Microsoft Access 2000 and SQL Server 2005. The major problems I've had is with Data (html) Pages using SQL parameterized stored procedures. I also understand that the designers use different base code for Access and SQL Server. I have had so many problems with Access Data Pages (ADP) not working correctly, that I will have to scale-up to Microsoft Access 2007, something I was trying to avoid.

Kindest Regards,

(Anonymous) SQL Server DBA

• Thank you for sharing your insights. Did you have similar problems with Access 2003?

BTW - I hear that the Office 2007 applications nearly all save natively as an XML file now - is that true?  Like *.XLSX and *.DOCX and *.MDBX???

• Yes, I'm sorry, I meant to include that the problems I have encountered are with Microsoft Access 2003 as well, some, even more so.

Kindest Regards,

(Anonymous) SQL Server DBA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply