CTEs and Trees

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item CTEs and Trees

• Great code and explanations, but no test data...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• i want to play with this in detail when i have time, but we had a problem with an app with similar conditions

we have a table with data and need to return it in hierchial fashion. someone wrote and sp years ago that used a while loop and temp tables. i just rewrote it with a CTE and it seems to run a lot faster

• I make some tests some years ago with different methods :

-> tree with classic father/son auto reference (in fac my computer file system including the 4 disks I have)

a) using temp table and a store proc to find some files having '%toto%' in the file name

b) using a path stored with the data in a column NAVARCHAR(4000)

c) using interval model

d) using CTE

Interval model was the winner...

• what about adding a number column to the master table and using that in your loop?

• Tech_Newbie (6/12/2008)

help please.

I have the following situation:

I want to populate two related tables

Person (PersonID, PersonName, PersonLName)

PersonAddress(PersonAddressID, PersonID, PersonAddr, PersonCity, PersonState, PersonZip, County)

from a table which contains all the data needed

MasterList(PersonName, PersonLName, PersonAddr, PersonCity, PersonState, Personzip, County)

The thing is I am not doing this sequentially, I want to select every 7th person starting from the person in the MasterList table at position 3.

For example:

I have 100 people in the master list

Lets say that I want 30 people to be put into the Persons table and into thier associated address tables.

I want to be able to increment through the MasterList table starting at the person from position 3, and insert every 7th person thereafter into the tables.

If I get to the end of the table and I have not reached my 30 people, I need to loop back around starting at a new position - 2 and then repeat selecting every 7th person from then on out.

Important things:

1. PersonID is an identity, and an auto - incremented value, but within this loop, when I create my entry for Person, I want to turn around and create an entry for PersonAddress, using the newly created PersonID identity value as a foreign key inside of PersonAddress.

How should I write a cte to be able to acomplish this ? Thanks for any assistance provided

Ok... third time's the charm... post your request in the correct forum... you'll get better answers quicker.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply