CTE is not just an expression

• Consider a query like this

select K.id, K.description, coalesce(K.state, M.state, (select state from dbo.states where label='1' and master_id=K.master_id)) as AState, S.description

from dbo.detail K join dbo.master M on M.id=K.master_id

left outer join dbo.states S on S.state=coalesce(K.state,M.state,(select state from dbo.states where label='1' and master_id=K.master_id))

Since sqlserver does not allow use of alias (namely AState), I had to copy the coalesce expression, so I replaced this with CTE:

with detail0 as (select K.id, K.description, coalesce(K.state, M.state, (select state from dbo.states where label='1' and master_id=K.master_id)) as AState

from dbo.detail K join dbo.master M on M.id=K.master_id)

select K.*, S.description from detail0 K

left outer join dbo.states S on S.state=K.AState

Surprisingly, the CTE variation runs a lot faster (~100x).

I've read many times that CTE is just what name says: expression, however, in some cases it helps the engine properly optimize the query plan. The first plan has a node with "index spool (eager spool)" 96% for the subselect expression and timing is ~half sec. The second query plan has a node with "index spool (eager spool)" 55% for the subselect expression and timing is 7 msec.

Unless I missed something...

• What helped it was that you got the COALESCE out of the WHERE clause.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply