Creating Packages

• I always wondered whether I could combine all my related procedures in to a package, similar to Oracle.

Please let me know if we can do that.

Thanks,

NeoNash

• When you say procedures do you mean like stored procedures or do you mean taking proccesses developed in Oracle and creating a DTS package to encompass as a whole?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• That is right. A package in Oracle can contain more than one stored procedure and function. I guess you have the answer as you have already hinted about DTS package encompassing.

That is what I am looking for and your help is much appreciated.

Say for example, I have

Package1 and inside that

Proc1

Proc2

Proc3

How can I create this in SQLserver?

• I'd be very interested in Antares answer. I'm an old ORACLE hand and though there are many good things in SQL Server there are ommissions, packages apparently being one of them.

My understanding of a DTS 'Package' is that it's effectively a group of objects which handle a Data Transformation task, including things like the bulk copy aand Active X scripting to handle complex transformation logic.

My brain-cell cannot see how you could use that to encompass a set of TSQL Stored Procedures in the way that an ORACLE package does. In particular I can't see how you could reference a particular method in the DTS package from an SP.

My belief until shown different is that there is no equivilant to the ORACLE Stored Procedure Package

I have found it is easy to please a great many people all of the time if you do exactly what they want. Harold Macmillan 1961

I have found it is possible to please all of the people all of the time if you do exactly what they want. Harold Macmillan 1961

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply