Creating non-local backup device

• Hi all. How can I create a backup device that points to another server on my network? It seems to only recoginze a local path - I've tried \\servername\sql backup but it returns an error that it cannot open the backup device. Thanks.

-Al

• From Books Online

Backup Devices

When creating backups, you must select a backup device for the data to be backed up to. Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2000 can back up databases, transaction logs, and files to disk and tape devices.

Disk Devices

Disk backup devices are files on hard disks or other disk storage media and are the same as regular operating system files. Referring to a disk backup device is the same as referring to any other operating system file. Disk backup devices can be defined on a local disk of a server or on a remote disk on a shared network resource, and they can be as large or as small as needed. The maximum file size is equivalent to the free disk space available on the disk.

If the backup is to be performed over the network to a disk on a remote computer, use the universal naming convention (UNC) name in the form \\Servername\Sharename\Path\File to specify the location of the file. As with writing files to the local hard disk, the appropriate permissions needed to read or write to the file on the remote disk must be granted to the user account used by SQL Server.

• OK, thanks. To what account do I give share permissions?

-Al

• Or maybe the better question is: How do I find out to what account do I give share permissions?

• I believe the service startup account for the SQL Server Agent needs to have Full access to both the share and the file system.

• Both the SQL Server and SQL Agent startup accounts need to be domain user accounts with the proper 'rights'. I state this becaause I do not know what user context you are going to be using.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• U can test the permissions by trying to map the other server drive to the parent server where u are creating the backup device.

Cheers,

Babu.

• Here's a quick SQL script to execute for checking your permissions for creation, listing and deletion of files:

declare @cmd varchar(128)

select @cmd = 'echo test_string > \\your-server-name\i$\test_file.dat'

exec master..xp_cmdshell @cmd

--

-- output should look similar to:

--

-- output                          

-- --------------------------------

-- NULL

--

-- (1 row(s) affected)

--

select @cmd = 'dir \\your-server-name\i$\test_file.dat'

--

--

-- output                                                          

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------

--  Volume in drive \\your-server-name\i$ is SQL Backups

--  Volume Serial Number is 5CA4-3C74

-- NULL

--  Directory of \\your-server-name\i$

-- NULL

-- 09/22/2005  12:57 PM                14 test_file.dat

--                1 File(s)             14 bytes

--                0 Dir(s)  224,460,341,248 bytes free

-- NULL

--

-- (9 row(s) affected)

--

select @cmd = 'del \\your-server-name\i$\test_file.dat'

--

--

-- output                                                          

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------

-- NULL

--

-- (1 row(s) affected)

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply