Creating Clustered index on a large table

• TheSQLGuru (7/7/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/2/2010)

TheSQLGuru (7/2/2010)

Once again we are moving into the world where a professional would be worth his/her weight in gold - or at least silver (metals are SOOOO inflated in price these days)!:-D

Partitioning is a VERY advance topic with MANY ways you can go astray or perform suboptimally.

Actually, see what Kevin wrote above? He's absolutely correct. You can hang yourself pretty good if you do partitioning incorrectly and by hang yourself I mean lose data, kill a server, lose your job for doing it so badly. Hiring someone like Kevin for a couple of days IS worth it's weight in gold. The good ones even show you what they're doing so if you ever run into another problem, you can talk intelligently over the phone to fix it so it won't cost you so much.

Trust me... it's worth finding someone like Kevin. If you can setup a temporary remote login, someone like Kevin can fix you up same day.

Thanks for the props Jeff! 😎 Oh, BTW, I just picked up 2 new quickie tuning clients in the last week. One had autoshrink on and neither had ANY index maintenance or statistics update jobs. And those were just the tip of some very large icebergs! :w00t:

Ok... half a decade later and over the last half decade, I'm finding that if this weren't so true it would be funny. I've lost count (but more than 20) of how many supposedly "Senior DBA with more than 10 years experience" that I've interviewed that wouldn't stand a prayer of finding, never mind fixing, the simple problems you've outlined above. In fact (and I couldn't make this up... truth is stranger than fiction), 90% of them don't even know how to get the current date and time using T-SQL. It's just stupid how ignorant the candidates have been. It's no wonder C-Level types think they don't need a DBA. I'm totally disgusted what these people have done to the once honorable profession of being a DBA.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (10/17/2015)It's no wonder C-Level types think they don't need a DBA.

But doesn't Microsoft sell SQL Server against Oracle by telling everyone they don't need a DBA with SQL Server? :hehe:

• Kim Crosser (10/19/2015)

Jeff Moden (10/17/2015)It's no wonder C-Level types think they don't need a DBA.

But doesn't Microsoft sell SQL Server against Oracle by telling everyone they don't need a DBA with SQL Server? :hehe:

Anyone who believes that self tuning database engines eliminate the need for a DBA, they probably believe that online trading eliminates the need for a financial advisor too.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Kim Crosser (10/19/2015)

Jeff Moden (10/17/2015)It's no wonder C-Level types think they don't need a DBA.

Yes they do. And, it's a really good thing that I'm not closer to Redmond. There would be some seriously high velocity pork chops in someone's life. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply