Creating Candidate Interest

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Creating Candidate Interest

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Very interesting post, Steve. As someone who is open to new opportunities, I find this quite interesting. A few questions come to mind, but I'll focus upon one which is tangentially related to your post.

I've never heard of Exercism.org before. I've looked at it. It reminds me of Leetcode, except that it appears Exercism is free, whereas Leetcode you have to pay, for higher levels. I presume they're competitors. If you've had experience with both, do you consider Exercism to be better, in some way?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I haven't tried Leetcode. I have done exercism with C# and python. I find it an interesting way to rethink how I code.

• I got my "best job ever" by answering the ultimate ad for someone that knows SQL...

"We need someone that can look at SQL,  figure out what's wrong, and fix it".

That was it.  That was the whole ad.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• That's a great ad.

I love a friend on LinkedIn whose profile says "Not looking for a job, but ridiculous salary offers considered." A nice reverse way of looking for a job.

• Recruitment is a challenging occupation.  I've had candidates that were good on paper, interviewed well, passed recruitment tests but when they got the job their doppelganger turned up for work.

I've seen the reverse too.  Some were mediocre on paper, interview and tests but we needed someone at the time.  They turned out to be some of the hardest working and most diligent.

I was dragooned into being a mentor for graduates.  I found out about it on the Friday night before the Monday they started.  That was a hectic time trying not to look unprepared and filling in the gaps while they were going through the HR induction.  For some of them it was their 1st time in the workplace.  Many of them were absolute stars and have gone on to bigger and better things.  On paper they had no relevant experience or skills.  In practise their skills, fresh from college, were learning, listening, taking notes and asking questions.  They hit the ground running and could run quicker than a very quick thing.

I've had discussions about who should get promoted to a senior position.  Obviously technical competence plays a part.  At senior level it becomes more about soft skills especially whether they are effective in lifting up people rather than lording it over them.  The role is about showing someone the ropes and marvelling how fast that someone can climb.

At one SQLBits Buck Woody said that the saddest day of your life is when you realise that you can no-longer keep up.  The happiest day of your life is realising that it just doesn't matter.  What people need from a senior is a level head, common sense, guidance and a sounding board.  They don't expect you to give them the answers, they want to know how and where to look for themselves.  At least, the ones you want to keep do.

• I too had never heard of exercism.org before. They have a lot of languages there, even something called "D", which is apparently an evolved offshoot of C. They have PL/SQL - but not T-SQL.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell wrote:

I too had never heard of exercism.org before. They have a lot of languages there, even something called "D", which is apparently an evolved offshoot of C. They have PL/SQL - but not T-SQL.

You can practice your Oracle skills.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Eric M Russell wrote:

I too had never heard of exercism.org before. They have a lot of languages there, even something called "D", which is apparently an evolved offshoot of C. They have PL/SQL - but not T-SQL.

You can practice your Oracle skills.

The amount of Oracle related web tutorials (and even just blogs) is scarce compared to the SQL Server community, and most of it seems geared toward sysadmins tweaking knobs.  So it's good to see something like this for beginners or those of us who havn't used Oracle in a decade or two.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply