Creating a View using a Cursor

• G'day all!

I am finding myself creating quite a few views lately and wondered if there was a way I could use dynamic SQL to speed up the process and make it less fiddly.

I have 15 seperate databases which are for this purpose identical. I want to write a custom SELECT statement that is applied to each of the databases and have a view created. At the moment I copy and paste the select statement and unions manually, just changing the database name which is not a lot of fun.

I have created a table that holds all of the database names ready to be inserted into a string to have the view created, but I just cant get my head around the syntax. A cursor seems suited to this job from what I've read, but maybe someone can offer a better way? I can see the common suggestion to never use cursors if you can help it, and I don't want to form any unnecessary bad habits 🙂

Here is an example of one of my views;

SELECT [field1], [field2], [field3]

FROM database1.dbo.[Table]

UNION ALL

FROM database2.dbo.[Table]

UNION ALL

FROM database3.dbo.[Table]

and so forth all the way to 15... its a long way when you've got complex select statements, and especially when you have to amend them. Replace all is good, but its not great >.<

Any comments please! All suggestions welcome!

- Damien 🙂

• DamienB (7/7/2008)

A cursor seems suited to this job from what I've read, but maybe someone can offer a better way? I can see the common suggestion to never use cursors if you can help it, and I don't want to form any unnecessary bad habits 🙂

That's probably one of the few things I would use a cursor for. Just don't get into the habit of using them for data manipulation.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi Gail 🙂

Thanks for the quick reply! Maybe I should have been more specific... I need help actually writing the code! >.<

- Damien

• Ah. In that case, please could you post the schema for the table you have the DB names in, a couple of rows from that table and the result you would like to see.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • It is pretty long winded so I'll include two databases so it will just be a copy and paste job across the rest of them.

CREATE TABLE [ceo_dbs] (

[db_id] [int] NULL ,

[db_name] [varchar] (255) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[system] [int] NULL ,

[school] [int] NULL

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

Database content:

db_name school

St Marys Primary 1

St Johns 1

St Josephs Colleg 1

So what I am trying to do is get the cursor to insert the @db_name variable for me in the following select statement until it runs out of databases, then creates the view.

create view v_student_addresses as

select s.first_name, s.surname, s.mail, m.address01, m.address02, m.suburb, m.postcode,

d.school_name

from @dbname.dbo.student as s

left join @db_name.dbo.mail as m on m.mkey = s.mail,

cross join school_data as d

and then union the results from another database.

Thank you for your time and interest! I could find very little on the net that I understood to get around this, so good chance other people with multiple identical DB's will benefit too 🙂

- Damien

• I just posted a way to do somethng very similar, without cursors:

Create Proc spLogin_OwnedObjects ( @login as SYSNAME ) As

--spLogin_OwnedObjects 'sa'

declare @sql varchar(MAX), @DB_Objects varchar(512)

Select @DB_Objects = ' L.name as Login, U.*

From %D%.sys.objects o

Join %D%.sys.database_principals u

ON Coalesce(o.principal_id, (Select S.Principal_ID from %D%.sys.schemas S Where S.Schema_ID = O.schema_id))

= U.principal_id

left join %D%.sys.server_principals L on L.sid = u.sid

'

Select @sql = 'SELECT * FROM

(Select '+Cast(database_id as varchar(9))+' as DBID, ''master'' as DBName, '

+ Replace(@DB_objects, '%D%', [name])

From master.sys.databases

Where [name] = 'master'

Select @sql = @sql + 'UNION ALL Select '+Cast(database_id as varchar(9))+', '''+[name]+''', '

+ Replace(@DB_objects, '%D%', [name])

From master.sys.databases

Where [name] != 'master'

Select @sql = @sql + ') oo Where Login = ''' + @login + ''''

print @sql

EXEC (@sql)

What you want to do is much simpler, so you should be able to adapt it from this. If you need help figuring it out, just say so.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• OK, here is a much simplified version that should work for you:

Create Proc spCreate_MultiDBView As

declare @sql varchar(MAX)

Set @sql = 'CREATE VIEW v_student_addresses As

'

Select @sql = @sql + Case RowNum When 1 then '' Else 'UNION ALL ' End

+ 'select s.first_name, s.surname, s.mail, m.address01, m.address02, m.suburb, m.postcode,

d.school_name

from '+ db_name +'.dbo.student as s

left join '+ db_name +'.dbo.mail as m on m.mkey = s.mail,

cross join school_data as d

'

From (Select Row_Number() Over (Order by db_name) as RowNum, * From ceo_dbs) R

print @sql

EXEC (@sql)

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• G'day mate,

Thank you very much for getting me started! I had to alter the code because I'm using SQL2000.

alter Proc spCreate_MultiDBView As

declare @sql varchar(6000)

Set @sql = 'CREATE VIEW v_student_addresses As

'

Select @sql = @sql + Case ident When 1 then ' ' Else 'UNION ALL ' End

+ 'select s.first_name, s.surname, s.school_year

from '+ '['+db_name + ']'+'.dbo.st as s where s.status = ''full''

and (s.school_year = ''y10'' or s.school_year = ''Y03'') '

From (Select * From cent_schools) R

print @sql

EXEC (@sql)

It looked complicated trying to replicate the RowNum/Over functions in SQL2000 so I thought bugger it and added an ident column to the cent_schools table which holds my database names 🙂 The only other change I made was including the square brackets so the syntax didnt dump because of spaces etc.

Thanks very much to you and Gail for helping me out! and so quickly too! I will be getting a fair bit of use out of this one I assure you 😀

- Damien

• Thanks for the feedback Damien.

[/font]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply