Creating a PDF from a Stored Procedure in SQL Server

• arronwall1 (8/8/2013)

Hi, I think you can do it yourself. I am not a long-term user working with document and image processing. But I can do a lot work about it totally by myself with the help of some fine 3rd party document and image tools. As for myself, I used to format PDFs with the help of another PDF SDK. It is just one of many but I do appreciate its simple way of processing. Even though I only tried its free trial package to generate PDFs according to its tutorials about how to generate PDFs using C#.NET[/url] and didn't check the cost and licensing conditions, it worked great for me. Share with you. And I hope you success. Good luck.

Best regards,

Arron

Hi there

Thanks for your sharing.That sounds great.I'd like to have a try.But if it is expensive for pdf creating[/url]?By the way ,i want to know that whether this pdf program can work

offline?Thanks a lot.

• This doesn't work in MS-SQL 2005 where I created the example and PDF reader 9.00

• Sory. I take my comment back. It works! My bug.

• This does not work for me. Here is my attempt at trying to get it to work. The pdf generated is blank.

System - Local SQL server 2008 R2 Dev edition, Windows 7 64 home premium bit. Adobe PDF reader 11.

I got several errors of the same type -

SQL Server blocked access to procedure 'sys.sp_OADestroy' of component 'Ole Automation Procedures' because this component is turned off as part of the security configuration for this server. A system administrator can enable the use of 'Ole Automation Procedures' by using sp_configure. For more information about enabling 'Ole Automation Procedures', see "Surface Area Configuration" in SQL Server Books Online.

Solution -

sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1;

GO

RECONFIGURE;

GO

sp_configure 'Ole Automation Procedures', 1;

GO

RECONFIGURE;

GO

Source - http://blog.consultdba.com/2010/09/how-to-enable-ole-automation-procedures.html

Exec result -

Configuration option 'show advanced options' changed from 0 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

Configuration option 'Ole Automation Procedures' changed from 0 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

Now trying to create pdf ...

Blank PDF created, with one error in SQL server.

Error -

SQL Server blocked access to procedure 'sys.xp_cmdshell' of component 'xp_cmdshell' because this component is turned off as part of the security configuration for this server. A system administrator can enable the use of 'xp_cmdshell' by using sp_configure. For more information about enabling 'xp_cmdshell', see "Surface Area Configuration" in SQL Server Books Online.

Solution -

---- To allow advanced options to be changed.

EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1

GO

-- To update the currently configured value for advanced options.

RECONFIGURE

GO

-- To enable the feature.

EXEC sp_configure 'xp_cmdshell', 1

GO

-- To update the currently configured value for this feature.

RECONFIGURE

GO

Source - http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2007/04/26/sql-server-enable-xp_cmdshell-using-sp_configure/%5D

Exec result -

Configuration option 'show advanced options' changed from 1 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

Configuration option 'xp_cmdshell' changed from 0 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

Attempting to make pdf again...

Query successful. ZERO errors.

PDF file created, but BLANK.

END RESULT = Failure.

• Nice stored procedure...

good work..

It would be great if you can make it customized to use different data sources.

Awaiting your feedback for the same.

Cheers!!

🙂

• the file is located in the machine where the sql server is installed.

• Excellent work man!!!! This is one of the finest SP I have ever seen so far. I would love to use this code in my Production Database. Thanks for sharing such an important information.

• It doesn't create the file. Did I miss something? Can somebody help?

• I have created the procedure sql2pdf using code which you have provided. It ran successfully by i did not find the pdf generated in my C:/root directory. Can somebody please suggest, did i miss something ?

• Hi did you get any reply for this...even i have the same problem. SP running successfully but output file is not generating :crying:

• Its not working pdf file is not generating

please help.

• srinivassrivas (11/6/2015)

Its not working pdf file is not generating

please help.

Where did you look for the file?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi did save me for now. Also can you please suggest, how I can insert my company logo in the pdf?

Thanks

Santhosh

• Hi found any solution

• This solution has worked well for me on an MS SQL 2005 Standard Edition 64 bit.

I am using the spSQL2PDF_2 version as illustrated in a previous reply.

It is a very simple yet effective way to render text to an output PDF file.

The procedure solved a problem I was having with sending out a daily email for an operator shift log report.

Thank you for submitting. Grady Christie🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 152 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply