Creating a non-unique index

• If you don't specify Unique, then by default a non-unique index is created.  But suppose I wanted to explicitly create a non-unique index (just to understand how SQL works).

What is wrong with this code.  With or without the hyphen, I still get an error.

CREATE NON-UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED INDEX ix_testIndex

ON Roster(firstName);

• michael.leach2015 - Tuesday, March 26, 2019 5:01 PM

If you don't specify Unique, then by default a non-unique index is created.  But suppose I wanted to explicitly create a non-unique index (just to understand how SQL works).

What is wrong with this code.  With or without the hyphen, I still get an error.

ON Roster(firstName);

You can specify unique or you can leave it off. Leave it off and you have defined a non-unique index. So in your example, it's just:
    CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX ix_testIndex
    ON Roster(firstName);

The documentation has the first line of the statement as:
    CREATE [ UNIQUE ] [ CLUSTERED | NONCLUSTERED ] INDEX index_name
    You can find the syntax in this documentation:
    CREATE INDEX (Transact-SQL)

Sue

• michael.leach2015 - Tuesday, March 26, 2019 5:01 PM

If you don't specify Unique, then by default a non-unique index is created.  But suppose I wanted to explicitly create a non-unique index (just to understand how SQL works).

ON Roster(firstName);

Google for "CREATE INDEX" and see that NON-UNIQUE is NOT valid and neither is NONUNIQUE.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden?  Are you the same person with the awesome splitter function??  I used your version and made a few minor tweaks to have it do what I needed it to do...its pretty awesome!  Just wanetd to say thanks if that was you and let you know it was much appreciated!

• Jeff is indeed the MASTER OF THE TALLY TABLE.... and many other things besides.  😉

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I'm humbled.  Thank you for the kind words and, as Dixie said, yes... that's me. :blush:  I'll also say that it's not just me.  DelimitedSplit8K is one of the finest examples in the world of community effort.  As the revisions say in the header, a lot of great people a hand in it to make it what is is today.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply